Chickens Galore in Norco, Ca

I've purchased 3 chickens from Russell and highly recommend him. After our last purchase, where I dealt with one of the younger helpers who sold us two Marans that were younger than we had asked for, Russell happily took the one that turned out to be a roo and exchanged him for a hen around the age we wanted. Good selection of breeds and ages. He has a day job during the week, so call first.

I am not replying to any of the above post :) just wanted to post on here that I am selling fertile eggs, they are not purebreds the rooster is a rhode island red/buff orphington I do have pure red hens and buff hens I also have pure silver lace whynodetts and barrd rocks, this rooster breeds to all of them and I have had some pretty interesting mixes I love them. some are born blk and are now turning red they are blk on there backs with red chest and wings they really kinda pretty I think I will call them the red rocks, and my red and buff babies are at least 3 qrt of there breed. please let me know if interested I am located in chino, ca I will not ship eggs but can meet for drop offs. thank you and Happy Chicken farming to everyone.

I know this is gonna be a very late response, but, i went to chicken galore 2 weeks ago, since i spoke to russell first and he told me that he had dominique and blue red wyandotte chicks, hes a very nice persone very seriois but very professional, the place is big and very very clean speacially where the baby chicks are, which is a small plywood room full with broomers and a huge incubator, in the middle of the property he has a few horses, and in the back is a big building with the big chickens, prices for the chicks are quite expensive to be honest but even though i pick 4 dominiiques and 2 blue laced red wyandottes, the cons about chicken galore, the guy dont bargain in the chicks, lol, he dosnt sex the chicks, and he gives the chicks in paper bags, really?!?! I told him if he had a box or something else since i had to travel almost 2 hrs back home and he told me to stop by raite aid to get one, :/ the other thing one of the blue laced red chicks starts snizzing and now all the six chicks are snizzing im not saying is hes fault but is not cool and the last thing i post some pics in here of the blue laced red wyandottes and they apper to be NOT blue laced red, judge by yourself
[/IMG]

Gallito.

1. Prices on chicks.

While I agree that Russell's prices are higher than your average feed store, I think it's important to note that the selection available and lack of minimum order size makes Russell's prices quite reasonable. It is just this side of impossible to get small quantities of a variety of chicks at feed store prices.

2. Sexing chicks.

He actually does sex his chicks, he just does it very quickly when he picks them up out of the brooder. It's easy to miss, but he quickly flips each chick over and checks.

3. Transportation

It's pretty standard practice for chicks to be transported in paper bags.I brought a small tote with me just in case, but I had a pretty long drive home too and the bag was fine.

4. Blue laced red wyandottes.

I bought 2, and they're beautiful! Only thing is they are single comb, not rose comb.

i have to agree with you about the price considering he sells from 1 chick up to infinite, lol, as for the paper bags i never think about getting my own things before go to russell, i always was supplied with boxes for the chicks in other local poultryes as for sexing i dont know, cause i asking him before i went to his place about getting 5 hens and 1 rooster and he told me that it was very dificult to know which is which, so i made my own research about sexing dominique baby chicks but when i get there was so freaking dificult, lol, i ask him again he said that he didnt know about sex of the chicks he only know was 80% pullets 20% cockorels, im not trying to talk bad about him or his bussines hell no! I was just pointing some cons that i found about it when i visit him, i will ever stand and say that russell is a great, great guy, very proffesional and the place is super nice and clean, i will buy from him again no doubt about it, AND YOUR CHICKS ARE SOOOO BEAUTIFUL BTW
Gallito.

1. Prices on chicks.

While I agree that Russell's prices are higher than your average feed store, I think it's important to note that the selection available and lack of minimum order size makes Russell's prices quite reasonable. It is just this side of impossible to get small quantities of a variety of chicks at feed store prices.

2. Sexing chicks.

He actually does sex his chicks, he just does it very quickly when he picks them up out of the brooder. It's easy to miss, but he quickly flips each chick over and checks.

3. Transportation

It's pretty standard practice for chicks to be transported in, as for sexing im not sure paper bags.I brought a small tote with me just in case, but I had a pretty long drive home too and the bag was fine. As

4. Blue laced red wyandottes.

I bought 2, and they're beautiful! Only thing is they are single comb, not rose comb.

Right on,

I see where you're coming from with the transportation thing. Every time i've bought from my local feed store, they've used paper bags to so I guess I never questioned it.

When I talked to Russell on the phone about the sexing thing, before I went over there, he said it's really hard to tell for sure and he can tell about 80% of the time if it's a hen. I think it's partially because he sells so many chicks that are 2 weeks old or under. My understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong) that it becomes easier to sex chicks after a couple of weeks of age as their feathers grow out.

Either way, I ended up with 2 roosters from Russell, which was disappointing, but i'd still buy from him again in a heart beat. It would be nice if he had a rooster-trade-in policy, but I understand why he doesn't.

Best of luck to you in your chicken raising endeavors Gallito!

thanks :) i had a very nice experience overal when i visit chicken galore and i will buy from him again as soon as he starts getting silver and golden laced chicks for sure he has some 3-4 months pullets but theyre quite pricey ($25 per chicken) but i guess i will wait until spring for him to hatch some silver and golden even though he sells this breed for like $15 per chick, its not a whole of a save but $100 equals 4 chickens or i wait and pay $100 for almost 7 chicks
Right on, 

I see where you're coming from with the transportation thing. Every time i've bought from my local feed store, they've used paper bags to so I guess I never questioned it. 

When I talked to Russell on the phone about the sexing thing, before I went over there, he said it's really hard to tell for sure and he can tell about 80% of the time if it's a hen. I think it's partially because he sells so many chicks that are 2 weeks old or under. My understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong) that it becomes easier to sex chicks after a couple of weeks of age as their feathers grow out. 

Either way, I ended up with 2 roosters from Russell, which was disappointing, but i'd still buy from him again in a heart beat. It would be nice if he had a rooster-trade-in policy, but I understand why he doesn't.

Best of luck to you in your chicken raising endeavors Gallito!

I bought 4 girls from Russell in August. A Cochin, A Blue Marans, and 2 Blue Red Laced Wyandottes. He told me he could only 80% guaranty that the chicks we picked where pullets. I was in luck they all ended up pullets. He sent my girls home in a box, but they were about 6 weeks old so just moved out of the brooder the night before I got them. The Wyandottes are single comb but that doesn't bother me. They have not yet started laying but all 4 are healthy happy girls. There was a little bit of Sneezing but they were kept on wood shavings and that is how I kept them too until they were ready to move to the barn which has an outdoor run on dirt. Some sneezing is par for the course when using wood shavings as their primary bedding. No more sneezing when they all joined up in the big girl pen.

I would buy from Russell again, if only he had Speckled Sussex ;)

LOL while out at the coop yesterday I looked a little closer at my BLRW fro Chicken's Galore. They both have rose combs. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted they had single combs???

Last edited:
If your looking for silkies in Norco California may I suggest trying Amber Waves? They have exceptional birds. they also ship. they offer hen guarentees and DNA sex testing for their silkies. I myself just purchased a 9 week old buff silkie dna sexed female.i will attach some pictures of her. You really need to call them because you can't always count on their web site to reflect what they actually have for sale.i called and found my bird and she was not advertised as for sale.i think you will be very pleased with the quality of silkies Amber Waves has. they are located in Norco California and will ship. They can be a bit more expensive but I'm very pleased with their birds. Make sure and call because I know they have some hatching very soon and they have dna out on six birds right now. here is my bird. she just arrived last wed. She is ONLY about 9 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom