Chickens gave me a healthy lifestyle!:)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KattyKillFish, Mar 19, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    I didn't notice until recently that raising chickens has given me a much healthier lifestyle than that of my peers. i am 19 now, and while most people my age are out causing trouble, getting pregnant and drinking I remain at home tending to the babies and caring for them the best i can. also, i have to be home before midnight to turn the eggs. my mother leaves all the chicken work and care to me because... well... ther ARE MY chickens after all [​IMG]

I pay for their feed and build their housing. but to me it is a miracle that i am not out with the others my age doing typical late-teen things. I would honestly rather stay at home with the chicks than go out and party.

remember! if you have a kid get them interested in caring for chickens as soon as possible! i've been helping my mom out with ours for as long as i can remember, and she finally left it all to me. i am SO HAPPY with the way i turned out. thank you for reading [​IMG] i hope you all can share your story!
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] CONGRATS!! BYC actually has quite a few young chicken lovers...
  3. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Love your story. I hope my kids 11 and 8 who love our chickens now will continue to follow as you did. [​IMG]
  4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wish I had developed the interest in having my own chickens when my two sons were young and I've remarked to my husband that it would have made them more well-rounded men. Thanks for your post! [​IMG]
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! I love your story too. [​IMG] [​IMG] I have a 42 yr old daughter who has been out of prison now for a little over a year for drugs. She grew up with chickens. Her sister is doing great and is successful. Go figure. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in my mid-teens and I must agree with you. The occasional party and hang-out are okay, but I'd much rather spend time with my flock. No job so I don't have the money to pay for everything. Thanks for sharing! Good to know I'm not very alone.
  8. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:i don't have a job either. i get most of my money selling eggs & handmade arts and crafts. I also babysit CONSTANTLY! my nephew, the larva... he has no particular interest in raising animals of any kind bar hermit crabs. XD yeah and i think every one of us needs to spend time with friends, it's good for you XD
  9. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    That's great! My saving grace was my 1976 Camaro that I was so into restoring with my dad. I've since sold that car (stupid ex boyfriend!) and now I've got a 1978 Camaro that I'm trying to restore slowly. I think all kids need some kind of healthy hobby. If it wouldn't of been for that car I have no idea what I would of spent my money on or what I would of done with my free time.
  10. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    yep i am 13 and at school not so cool but ask me any thing you need to know about ducks/chickens i am your guy.[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by