Chickens going "NUTS" over Bread!!!!!!!

fireguy56

Songster
9 Years
Oct 2, 2010
Slidell, Louisiana
Hi, Just thought I'd share this. Started buying day old and two day old bread from local outlet. Got a "HUGE' trash bag of bread, rolls, etc... from New Orleans bakery for $5.00, like 40-45 loaves. goats and chickens can't get enough. Seems to us, a great way to supplement feed and.... as a soft, easy to eat treat. Fun to watch as well. Any thoughts as to good or bad....I can't see no harm in it. Made from wheat. and lots available. Let me know what ya'll think.
Erik

I get about 3 grocery carts full of old bread from the bread store for free every few weeks. I only feed mine bread in moderation. They may get it every couple of weeks but not that often. Not a good idea to supplement as feed as you stated but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for feedback. Sorry if I gave wrong impression. We feed our girls well. Layer pellets, BOSS, greens from table, etc....Feed store lady thinks we are crazy for spending so much money on our "Chickens", but ....we love 'em and want them happy and healthy. Bread is minimal as a treat. Just loved the idea of getting it so cheap, but obviously you guy's are ahead of me on that. Wow, grocery baskets full for free.....I thought I was getting a great deal. Thanks again for input.
Erik

Hi Fireguy. This is unrelated to your post but I saw the picture of your coop when I was reading this. That is a great coop! I love it. The chairs set right in front so you can sit back and enjoy watching your chickens made me very happy. Way to go

Back
Top Bottom