Chickens got dehydrated now they stopped laying Help!

ScottElvidge

Hatching
Jul 9, 2021
We went on a 4 day weekend trip, pour automatic chicken water got clogged up, we lost 3 girls to dehydration and my other 10 have come back from it unscathed,only thing they stopped laying, this happened about 3 weeks ago, I started getting 1 egg per day, 10 layers, will they be ok and lay again?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Sorry for your loss. I never trust having just one water source. Just a large tub of water in case a waterer gets turned over or what happened to yours, can be a life saver. Some chickens may go into a molt when they go without water, and they would also stop laying. Hopefully, your chickens will recover fully from this.

NatJ

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 20, 2017
USA
this happened about 3 weeks ago, I started getting 1 egg per day, 10 layers, will they be ok and lay again?
Since it's been three weeks, if they look mostly OK, they will probably start laying again eventually-- but it might take a while. If the dehydration triggered a molt, it could take up to a few months. (If they have lost a bunch of feathers and are growing new ones, that would be likely.) But since one is laying, the others might be close behind. The only way to really know is to just keep waiting.

They won't need anything special-- just keep providing proper living conditions, food & water, and wait it out.

Top Bottom