chickens got into a few dried garden beanpods, toxic?

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
everything on the internet says beans are toxic. I’ve cleared all tomatoes and peppers out of my gardens before letting the chickens in to forage, but one bed had a few yellow bush bean pods that had dried and fallen and that I missed. of course they found them, ripped the pods right open and ate them before I could grab. it wasn’t an enormous amount, but there were a few. I moved the girls out of that bed so they shouldn’t be finding any more. how much bean eating will cause a toxic effect? to be clear, these are not kidney beans, but a yellow bush bean you’d eat fresh in summer, that had dried in the pods. thanks

Essentially all legumes and pulses should be processed to reduce antinutritive properties when making feed - but the birds eating just a few fallen pods is likely quite safe. Birds (generally) won't eat themselves to illness from most common potentially concerning plants unless they have no alternative.

I would relax, but monitor over the next 48 hours, just in case.

and no, I'm not familiar with yellow bush bean pods specifically. That's very generalized advice, above.

Essentially all legumes and pulses should be processed to reduce antinutritive properties when making feed - but the birds eating just a few fallen pods is likely quite safe. Birds (generally) won't eat themselves to illness from most common potentially concerning plants unless they have no alternative.

I would relax, but monitor over the next 48 hours, just in case.

and no, I'm not familiar with yellow bush bean pods specifically. That's very generalized advice, above.

If it is only a few it shouldn't be a problem. Two of my girls grabbed a few dry pinto beans when I was harvesting the plants this year. They had no issues afterwards.
this all makes sense. I’d like to think they have some sense in them about what not to overdo. that said I’ll keep watching them, but they did seem fine for the rest of the day. it was only a few beans total, split among them. I’ll be more vigilant to ALSO remove any bean leftovers along with the nightshades, from the end of season foraging areas. thank you both!

Back
Top Bottom