Chickens got loose!

cnjtnt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Federal Way, WA
So a strong gust of wind yesterday decided that we'd start an experiment with free range a bit early....while everyone was off at work (it removed a section of the wall). Haven't seen the chickens yet (all about 8-11 weeks). We left their heat lamp on yesterday and again to night. So far no luck. We think a bird of prey may have grabbed one near the scene (feathers), leading us to suspect they won't return to that area.

Any suggestions?

bantybev

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
SW Michigan
Wow...must have been a really strong wind! How many did you lose? Very young to be loose on their own. If you have looked for them everywhere, I am sorry to say, I doubt at that age they will find their way home if they scattered too far, or are still alive. I would be freaking out and probably would have searched within a 4 mile radius, at least, for hours if my 8 week olds had something similar happen. They are probably too young to fly to a tree to roost, so looking at all possible low hiding spots would be where I would look.
I don't have much advise, except to say that if you continue to raise chickens you will probably need a more secure housing for them. Something that would not blow over unless a tornado or hurricane would be the best way to go.

I am so sorry for your loss. Good luck and I hope your babies find their way home.

cnjtnt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Federal Way, WA
We have something more secure, but this was a temporary quarantine until we had them long enough to put in our main coop with the rest of the adult chickens. Only had 4 weeks of quaranteen left. I'm still hopeful we'll find at least a few of the 6.

fiberart57

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Colorado
I would suspect that something got all of them. If I remember correctly, when my girls were 8 weeks old, they didn't go far from their house or run. Perhaps it was because I raised them to be dependent upon their person (me) but even in the back yard they wouldn't wander far. At 8 weeks of age, they're still small enough for a cat to get, not to mention racoons, dogs, possums, etc.

Could a kid or some person have found them and figured them lost? Have you checked with the neighbors?

I'm sorry it happened, what a bummer to lose six little ones.

Mary

Top Bottom