Chickens got loose!

cnjtnt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Federal Way, WA
So a strong gust of wind yesterday decided that we'd start an experiment with free range a bit early....while everyone was off at work (it removed a section of the wall). Haven't seen the chickens yet (all about 8-11 weeks). We left their heat lamp on yesterday and again to night. So far no luck. We think a bird of prey may have grabbed one near the scene (feathers), leading us to suspect they won't return to that area.

Any suggestions?

Wow...must have been a really strong wind! How many did you lose? Very young to be loose on their own. If you have looked for them everywhere, I am sorry to say, I doubt at that age they will find their way home if they scattered too far, or are still alive. I would be freaking out and probably would have searched within a 4 mile radius, at least, for hours if my 8 week olds had something similar happen. They are probably too young to fly to a tree to roost, so looking at all possible low hiding spots would be where I would look.
I don't have much advise, except to say that if you continue to raise chickens you will probably need a more secure housing for them. Something that would not blow over unless a tornado or hurricane would be the best way to go.

I am so sorry for your loss. Good luck and I hope your babies find their way home.

We have something more secure, but this was a temporary quarantine until we had them long enough to put in our main coop with the rest of the adult chickens. Only had 4 weeks of quaranteen left. I'm still hopeful we'll find at least a few of the 6.

I would suspect that something got all of them. If I remember correctly, when my girls were 8 weeks old, they didn't go far from their house or run. Perhaps it was because I raised them to be dependent upon their person (me) but even in the back yard they wouldn't wander far. At 8 weeks of age, they're still small enough for a cat to get, not to mention racoons, dogs, possums, etc.

Could a kid or some person have found them and figured them lost? Have you checked with the neighbors?

I'm sorry it happened, what a bummer to lose six little ones.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom