Chickens have decided not to go into coop all of a sudden

dvaesch

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
I have 11 chickens. They are about 6 months old. They have been going to bed great till the last two nights. We have had a brooding light on for them. Last night 3 decided to stay out. I checked on them after the door closed. That is when I found them. I put them in. Tonight I decided not to have the brooding light on thinking they would go to bed at dusk just like this summer. I went out and found 7 of them did not go in to the coop. So of course I put them in but 3 of them came back out before the door closed for the night so I had to gather them up again and put them in. Why all of sudden are they having a problem with going in to their coop at bed time?

Is it possible that there is a rat or something that has invaded their space?

Can you give them a night light so that it is brighter in the coop than outside? I think that is what convinces mine to go in. If it is dark in there, they can't see well.

Has something else changed? A yard light that makes it brighter outside maybe?

Last edited:
I was just in there and nothing. Do you think I should turn back on the brooding light in the early evening? I will check about other bright lights.

I use a little solar garden light. It stays lighted for a few hours, and by that time they are settled on the roosts. Of course with the short days, I'm trying adding regular light for a couple of hours morning and evening just to see if that will encourage them to start laying. But in the early fall and late summer, the solar light worked like a charm. It was a little $2 job from Walmart. I take it out to charge each day.

Mine have been protesting going into their coop at night too. We recently had a mouse problem, teeeeeny little mice that I hoped my 3 1/2 month old girls would look at as a snack. Unfortunately, the mice terrified my girls, and even if their coop is mouse free when I check, there could have been a mouse running through there that spooked them so much they didn't want to go back in. I felt bad physically forcing the girls into the coop at night, when they were visibly agitated, but that's where they'll be safe from the "real" dangers of racoons, owls, and whatever might want to eat them. I can't help it if a mouse is going to run in there and scare them half to death.

They get scared at some of the dumbest things! I can drive the tractor/truck/ loader past the run and they just look at me. A butterfly came swooping down at them one day and you would've thought it was the end of the world!! Maybe that's why they're called CHICKEN!

My six RIR's have been doing the same thing and there is nothing inside the coop. Last night one of the hens was out until about 8:30pm and it got dark at about 5:30pm. I've tried leaving the coop lights off and they will go in the coop but half of them won't roost. My rooster has started roosting on the perch for the nest boxes. I don't know what to do.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom