Chickens have diarrhea ----- HELP

Just like everyone else.. I'm super grateful for the poop pix.. oh yeah.. totally love saying that. :p It wasn't overly warm here.. so I'm just going to keep an eye out. Her poor little butt just looks almost raw when she runs away after squirting it everywhere. Yogurt therapy is definitely in the fixings for dinner tonight.

I've never been so grateful for a website, as I am to the BYC!!

CRAP. I hope everybody is okay. I'm new to the chicken club and I have to say I'm happy to be a member because I know nothing about chickens and have three. I will appreciate having a reference now instead of having to google everything. That can be maddening. Anyway, I too have a bantam hen that only poops runny at night when she's roosting. One of you posted that they sometimes do this to cool down in hot temps. I probably should've read this before pumping yogurt down them and deworming. I tell you one thing. Raising chickens ain't for wimps. Thank you for solving this mystery for me. I'm sure I'll be seeing you all again.

I'm new to chickens. The pictures are very helpful, thank you. I've seen some of the "oily and foamy" in the pen. Is that considered normal? I wasn't sure where the cut off was on the page. We have 16 hens so it's hard to narrow the culprit down. I did notice that the backside of one of my hens has a "dark trail" down it. What do you recommend? Should I isolate her and feed her regular feed and some plain yogurt? I also noticed her comb has some spots on it. Is that normal? Otherwise she seems fine, she's eating and grazing in the pen well. Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

Thanks for the link on chicken poo. Of course that opened up another forum of sorts. Learned what I needed to know about diarrhea and what's the fix. Thanks, Grady B.

My barred rock, Cleo,just sits in the corner and has watery diarrhea. A few days ago she layeda rubbery egg. Then layedanother just fine. But since yesterday she just wants to sit around and not join the others. Looks like she did not eat so I gave her some yogart with grapes.

Any advice.

-Dawneebird- Do you have a vet who can treat chickens? I know their really hard to find but I had a hen with similar symptoms who passed away. She had vent gleet which I tried to treat myself but she only got worse. I wish I had taken her to vet and maybe she would be alive. If you can't take your chicken to a vet research vent gleet to see if that's what's wrong. If it is treatment is usually probiotics, baths and I think some ACV.

I am a newbie backyard chicken keeper - and bought four 5 month laying chickens. I lost 3 because I didn't know that diarrhea was such a bad thing for them, thinking that it would clear itself up. I tried Bird Biotic that someone onlie recommended, yoghurt, apple cider, etc. Kept them all clean but about 3 weeks ago, my last chicken also finally got diarrhea. I was devastated and blamed myself that after so much reseach online, nothing worked. As a last resort, I called the people at the feed store where I bought them and the sweet woman said not to discount a simple case of worms. I said that folks online said not to just assume it was a simple case of worms and most of them said essentially that having green/white diarrhea is almost a no cure. But I thought, if it was as simple as worms, I would be a terrible person not to try it. So I went on Amazon to find worm meds. I found Rooster Booster and was dismayed that it came in pallets. My chicken havent been touching its scratch and peck, food, meal worms, baked potatoes, yoghurt...nothing so how was I supposed to get her to eat these pellets. I had fed antiobiotics to the others before via a plastic syringe and I decided to make a slurry of the Rooster Booster. I tell you, I thought about doing the chicken dance when I saw a dollop of rounded poop the next day. Tiny but it wasn't diarrhea.
It kept getting better and better until a week later, there was no more diarrhea and by day 3 she started pecking her food. Before that, it was about a week without eating except scratching in the ground and pecking around. I posted my experience on the Amazon review of Rooster Booster and I wanted to tell everyone about this as it saved my last chicken - Please give it a try. I mashed a level teaspoon of booster with about 2 teaspoon of water. It was all an experiment out of desperation. I used a plastic syringe with the tip cut off as the booster is very thick and grainy. I never saw any worms before or after tho I studied the poops and diarrhea closely. I wish you all luck and hope you give this a try as it sucks to feel guilty that you were not able to save your chickens who have become pets. sorry for the long post. If you need to ask me questions, email me [email protected] with subject matter : chickens
I'll try to help

Back
Top Bottom