Chickens have diarrhea ----- HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oklahorselover, Aug 9, 2009.

1. oklahorselover

oklahorselover Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2008
    Okla
    Two of my buff's have watery diarrhea.They are eating, drinking & are healthy. Is there something I should be giving them ?? There are no worms in their watery poop.
    Second question. Two of my bannies are bald, well almost.None of my other hens or the roosters pick at them. They just lost their feathers. It's sad & I worry about them getting sunburned when they are out. Any suggestions on what I can do to get their feathers back on, besides glue "just kidding [​IMG]"

Thank You

2. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I'm totally new to this, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt! I was worried about one of my hens having watery poop too. This was during an unusually hot time here. I read that they sometimes poop out water in hot weather so that they can take in more cool water and bring down their body temp. Anyway, I don't know if it's overly hot where you are, or if that could be the explanation (or if it's even true since I read it who-knows-where online, lol). I hope your hens are ok!

Shannon

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    ok, i would suggest getting plain yogurt and give it to them. It helps regulate that. I sprinkle feed lightly on top or put freah fruit. Stand back , they make a mess [​IMG]
    As long as the poo has no blood you'll be OK! Other colors do indicate thing but for now focus on that. What color is the poo?

2nd, chickens molt. It's probally what happened. Give them a shaded area and they will be OK

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. oklahorselover

Jan 26, 2008
    Okla
    Thanks for your info. It is hot here in Oklahoma. Imp, the info was interesting. The poop pictures were gross, but I did appriciate the site. I guess since I raise quarter horse's & have seen all kinds of poop, I don't get to grossed out [​IMG] I will watch the hens closely.
    I feel bad for my bald peeps [​IMG] The one black one looks like it's had chemotherapy [​IMG]
    Thanks again you guys. I appriciate you.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. oklahorselover

Jan 26, 2008
    Okla
    Quote:Great info. Thank you. I won't worry to much at this point.You know the old saying, bald is beautifull [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bagdad Chicken Mom

Bagdad Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Milton, Florida
    Thank you Imp! This is an excellent link on chicken poops for newbies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  9. mizzbatz

mizzbatz New Egg

Mar 21, 2010
    Found this thread on a search after I went to feed my hens this morning. It appeared that one of them had diarrhea, but after looking at the picture link, I now know she is fine. Thanks!

10. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    This article was helpful!

We are totally new at this,
    and have our first "running butt" chicken... ceacle poo... yuk!

Here is a picture of our first attempted yogert treatment...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by