Chickens have stopped laying

roseytheriveter

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Hello everyone. Its been years since I've posted. We are having an issue with our 'girls'. We have a small flock, 3 Rhodies and 3 NJ Giants. ALL of them have stopped laying...but before I go any further, about 6 weeks ago we had 5 large trees taken down in our back yard. The 'girls' were out in the wooded area and we didn't want them in the coop because of possible branches falling, etc. Needless to say, this was a very stressful day for them and since then, they have stopped laying. They still come back to the pen each night, but none are laying any eggs. I have tried to keep them penned up for a few days, but still, no eggs. A few of them have developed a kind of mossy look on top of their heads as well. I must be a terrible chicken-mama, but I'm at a loss as to what may be wrong.

How old are they, in months?
Stress of timbering and shorter days may have triggered the molt or just cessation of lay.
I'm assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, correct me if that is inaccurate.
Look for pin feathers, might have to dig under other feathers to see them.
Check pelvic points then maybe lock them up for longer than a few days.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think my girls experienced such a shock with the trees being downed, and now they are molting. So I'm going to just keep taking good care of them and maybe we will see eggs in the spring, or maybe not. They're good girls and they've earned a retirement. ;)

Back
Top Bottom