Chickens, head severely picked and can’t stand. Please help.

You're very welcome. And thank you. I would love to know, if it's ok.

(Towels for stability and chicken sling are great advice!)

The last thing I think of is the first think you will think when you arrive back--who was responsible? And will you be able to keep her separate from the aggressor, so we can avoid the poor lil lady being attacked all over again?
I have no idea who could possibly been the only possibility I’m thinking of is either the rooster or the turkey, Tom. She was right under the roost where she normally sleeps. She has been in there since she was a little tiny chick a hen hatched her out all the chickens pretty much ignore her. I’ve never seen them attack her before. I have already culled out all the aggressive chickens. When I get back, I’ll try separating the time in the rooster and see if that helps anything.

I have no idea who could possibly been the only possibility I’m thinking of is either the rooster or the turkey, Tom. She was right under the roost where she normally sleeps. She has been in there since she was a little tiny chick a hen hatched her out all the chickens pretty much ignore her. I’ve never seen them attack her before. I have already culled out all the aggressive chickens. When I get back, I’ll try separating the time in the rooster and see if that helps anything.
Well sounds right, you have your suspects. Just such a pity it happened when it seemed to be going ok. You must have been shocked. But yes, good action plan. And in a few days she will be doing much better. She's strong. I can tell. Just monitor for infection--pus will be one possible sign. (Attached pic for reference in case of infection down the track)

And blessings to you!

Attachments

• 20230811_013656.jpg
    20230811_013656.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 31
I would recommend covering the wound since this will give an additional barrier against flies or any kind of particular debris. Especially since the fragmented skin is so unstable, the dressing will keep things together. Ichthammol or lanolin will help keep the area pliant as the healing goes along. (Well after initial treatment).

Last edited:
I would recommend covering the wound since this will give an additional barrier against flies or any kind of particular debris. Especially since the fragmented skin is so unstable, the dressing will keep things together. Ichthammol or lanolin will help keep the area pliant as the healing goes along.
One more thing, would baby food work as soft food for her

Some people use baby food, but I would feed watery chicken feed or mash and a little scrambled or boiled egg. If they refuse those, I will try canned cat food, ground meat, or tuna. Then go back to the wet mash once she started eating.

You have gotten good advice. Just wanted to add that you can use rolled up bath towels around her to support her body, it may keep her more comfortable and stable. You can also use a chicken sling, I will attach pictures of examples below. I wouldn't use the sling right away, only once she's not so shocky and more recovered if she's still having trouble standing. Once things calm down, I would check her eyes, make sure they are not injured. Once she's less shocky, it will be easier to assess her condition. As previously stated, fluids are most important right now. Electrolites or sugar water, at room temperature, not cold. I would also use clean bath towels or puppy pads for bedding right now, rather than loose bedding, it will help keep the wound cleaner. Just change out as needed.
I had a bird scalped, you could see her skull. I did all that you have done, I kept the wound covered in plain neosporin, reapplied as often as needed to keep it covered in ointment, crated her until she was healed up. I did not bandage, it's not in a spot they can bother, so if she's on bedding that will not stick to it, it's better to leave it open to the air and just use ointment. She recovered well and once feathered out you couldn't tell it happened. Picture below about 5 weeks post injury.
View attachment 3605028
chicken slings:
View attachment 3605030
View attachment 3605031
View attachment 3605032
View attachment 3605034

One more thing, would baby food work as soft food for her
Very good advice from @coach723 I've had scalped birds and they heal o.k. with a little time.

Feed her her normal feed! You can offer it wet made into a mush, but she needs to be eating her nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Clean the wound with saline, vetericyn or chlorhexidine. Slather on your triple antibiotic ointment and leave the wound uncovered - she needs to be placed where flies won't get on her wound.

Many people cover wounds on chickens, they are not sterile wounds even when you clean them well, covered wounds become infected, moldy and yes, flies can even get under the dressing and you'll end up with maggots. Leave the wound open so it can get air.

A dressing on her head is going to make her act even more timid, chickens do not like their heads covered. You want to get her UP, alert and moving as quickly as possible. It's fine to coddle for a while with some electrolytes, bits of egg, wet feed, etc. but get her moving as soon as possible.

If her eyes have been pecked, then rinse them out with saline and apply the Terramycin the eye and surrounding tissue.

I would not use Ichthammol which is a drawing salve on this wound. Use triple antibiotic ointment.

You're very welcome. The mash will be perfect! You did great! Now it's the miracle of nature and she looks in really good condition, apart from the attack she has had. So, watch--she will be good in a few days. If you think of me then, will you let me know how she is doing? I want her to pull through biiiig time! (And she will!)
Already some big improvement. Here’s a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 25
Awesome, eating and drinking are very good signs! Looks like her eyes are ok also. She has a good chance to recover from this, just watch for infection. With the flushing and ointment, that is less likely. When the scab forms, it may be very thick. It will eventually slowly flake off on it's own, most likely from the edges in. Rooting for her!

Already some big improvement. Here’s a picture.
Im very glad for that :) Glad to have been on site at the time.

Forced online community style to act as my own apologist, these are the rationales I employed for treatment as best I could give it, in vivo.

In terms of covering a chickens wound, there is no hard and fast rule. It is not a case of leave it uncovered or pestilence and plague will ensue. As one vet put it, "it is a matter of personal preference." It will always be a case of stability of tissue at wound site and likelihood of contamination, risk/benefit comparison, as multiple sites includung university sites on veterinary medicine, veterinary sites themselves, and other poultry sites testify. If she tolerates it, well and good. If not change it. But its your bird, you are free to care for her as you determine.

As to fly contamination, given how many are around from the heat, a covering might protect. A lack of covering never can. I can't guarantee any home or setting will be 100% fly free. I would not wander around with a head wound hanging open in hot weather.

Chlorohexidine at 2% only. It must be a weak solution if used at all.

As patient had no vetrimycin in first aid kit it became efficacy over lack thereof to use terramycin.

Ichthammol I never suggested for first line treatment of this type of wound. And even this very website suggests its use for tissue pliancy in later stages of wound healing.

My suggestion of food made easier to eat was based on mental picture of patient being severely weakened after traumatic injury and thus food intolerant. In duch cases, something always prevails over eating nothing, thus resort to something that can be readily fed, or made easier for self feeding. If she has no feeding deficit, then proceed as usual.

Blah blah. Im just super glad she is doing well (no matter the little messages I sense floating around about me, sixth sense at work... new members of flocks often face hen pecking).

Take care.

Back
Top Bottom