Chickens, head severely picked and can’t stand. Please help.

Okay. Anti-inflammatory and antibiotic will still be priority at this stage. Great that you are trying to feed and water her.

Antibiotic: a Pekin duck will be around 9 lbs. It is very important the dosage for chicky is right. It would be great to try and weigh her so we can compare directly and adjust dosage of trimethoprim.

Correct dosage is 14mg per pound of bodyweight every 12 or 24 hours.

If the antibiotic container nowhere says what dosage of trimethoprim is in container, we can guess the correct dosage:

(Chick's weight / pekin duck weight) x 3cc
=> approx dosage.

It may be great to change antibiotic if at all possible. But I understand budget may not support that at this time. It would likely mean vet (and then they could do full investigation).

If she is uncomfortable in sling, (leg thrashing cause?) see how she feels out of it, support with rolled towels. Has she only been gaping since sling? Remove immediately to a supported position of comfort, as sling might be pressing fluid in compartment against lungs. Support with rolled towels. She can be on haunches for now if that is what she prefers.

Further:

Check her body for hot, squishy areas. Does she drip fluid from break in a forward tilt position? (Trying to nail inflammation. Gaping often indicates lung involvement, even peri-pneumal fluid, fluid around lung as inflammation causes fluid to arise in this and any compartment in body).

Stiffness could be a sign of neuromuscular compromise, we suspect then electrolytes-- maintain fluids with electrolytes, please.

Importantly, any other symptoms?

I have:
Major open head wound. She did a little better then--progressed to unstable gait, difficulty standing, mouth breathing with use of accessory muscles, lack of appetite, refusing fluids.

Are there any other symptoms?

I weighed her and she is 2 pounds

I have been giving her 1cc of the antibiotic and .2cc of ibuprofen (100mg per 5 cc). Nitro drench 1cc. She seems to eat better when the food is a paste and will occasionally take a few sips but for the most part syring feeding and water. I am adding hydro hen to the water as well. I took her out of the sling and it seems on her side is most comfortable. ( I tryed the towel on each side she maneuvered out back on her side)

I am unable to go to the vet, I had a vet visit out of my budget last week. I had an expensive visit for my rabbit

When I feel for swelling all I feel is her bones. ( She is skinny ) I am probably doing it wrong. No fluid comes out when tilted.

A new symptom I noticed when I got home from work ( in the sling) is her foot shaking I have a video. Otherwise same as you listed. She is currently back in the crate on her side. I can post the video if it will help.

Last edited:
Another obvious thing, have you looked inside her mouth? Often needs a helper. But if can we look inside her mouth, we can make sure there is no obvious obstruction, canker, plaque. Then we can rule out obvious physical issues. At that point we are dealing with systemic inflammation, infection, or compromise of muscle and or nerve tissue.
I looked in her mouth, all I can see is the windpipe no obstruction I’ll try getting a photo when I get home

I looked in her mouth, all I can see is the windpipe no obstruction I’ll try getting a photo when I get home
That's okay. Then we are dealing with neuromuscular compromise. It doesnt rule out infection or inflammation, but can indicate swollen nerve or brain tissue.

Stronger antiinflammatory will be best Dexamethasone will be preferred over ibuprofen, dosage: 0.01mg per pound bodyweight.

Back to what you have at hand:

Vit E has an anticoagulant effect, while ibuprofen presents a heightened risk of erosions and bleeding. But vit E also settles tissue trauma to some degree, for some better than others, as does vit C. Radical intervention is better than none:

Three options exist--

1. Use vit E and C to ease any possible tissue damage, including in brain. Thus be super sure no major inflammation exists-- stop ibuprofen?

2. Benefit over risk--do vit E, C and ibuprofen together. Monitor assiduously for haemorrhage.

3. Or continue treatment unchanged.

There is risk either way at this stage. Things change in chicken world in minutes and hours.

You checked her mouth. No physical obstruction. Therefore--

Consider adding vit C and E, without stopping ibuprofen, but please be very careful, and monitor for bleeding. We will go radical. I don't like the idea, but radical is better over nothing.

(Vit k is the antidote for bleeding; and restoring hemodynamics with fluid replacement).

That's okay. Then we are dealing with neuromuscular compromise. It doesnt rule out infection or inflammation, but can indicate swollen nerve or brain tissue.

Stronger antiinflammatory will be best Dexamethasone will be preferred over ibuprofen, dosage: 0.01mg per pound bodyweight.

Back to what you have at hand:

Vit E has an anticoagulant effect, while ibuprofen presents a heightened risk of erosions and bleeding. But vit E also settles tissue trauma to some degree, for some better than others, as does vit C. Radical intervention is better than none:

Three options exist--

1. Use vit E and C to ease any possible tissue damage, including in brain. Thus be super sure no major inflammation exists-- stop ibuprofen?

2. Benefit over risk--do vit E, C and ibuprofen together. Monitor assiduously for haemorrhage.

3. Or continue treatment unchanged.

There is risk either way at this stage. Things change in chicken world in minutes and hours.

You checked her mouth. No physical obstruction. Therefore--

Consider adding vit C and E, without stopping ibuprofen, but please be very careful, and monitor for bleeding. We will go radical. I don't like the idea, but radical is better over nothing.

(Vit k is the antidote for bleeding; and restoring hemodynamics with fluid replacement).
For the vitamins what dosage is best?

I finally found an air bubble on her. It’s on the chest right near the crop. It’s not the crop but it’s near the crop
Wow. Okay. It could then be pneumothorax, which explains her gulping air. It can often heal itself if left, the air is re-absorbed. Else it will be aspiration of air, so a hollow needle is needed. But if her condition is stable and there is no other tissue damage, it may be safer to allow reabsorbtion. If it is indeed pneumothorax.

As to the vitamins:

Vitamin E: 400iu (180mg) daily is well tolerated and suggested widely. You can give this as an oral pill, or you can add to water, if you are sure she's going to drink it.

Vitamin C: Even as low as 15mg daily has proved helpful in most situations. 400mg in drinking water sounds reasonable (unless it is just a tiny quantity of water).

If it's ok by you, can you please upload a pic of the Oxbow? Let's see if the ingredients can also help us out here. (Good thinking, too).

Back
Top Bottom