chickens hiding eggs at the bottom of their nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginacleaner, Mar 26, 2018.

1. ginacleaner

ginacleaner In the Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    Gloucestershire,england
    it wouldn't be a problem but because the older birds sleep in the nest box the poo :\ i clean it out once a week so it isn't dirty but one of the girls has started digging around the box and the eggs keep ending up at the bottom so i have to get a glove and dig around for the eggs. they have a massive run so they arnt shut up in the coop all day.

does anyone know a way i can get them to stop or if there could be a reason for them doing it?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would get your older birds to stop sleeping in your nestboxes. Sounds like you don't have enough roost space or they aren't comfortable.

Some hens bury the eggs when they leave the box. You could use less bedding or switch to a different type but you can't stop them from digging down in the boxes, it's a natural instinct.

aart likes this.
  3. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    To add to that if the nest box is to high, they will sleep in it.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, if nests are higher than roosts.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  5. dandread

dandread Chirping

Oct 20, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I have a nest same level as roost. My Wyandotte have been laying for last week but they keep laying in the run, not the nest and it looks like they are purposely burying them.

I put fake eggs in the nest and they push the eggs out of the coop into the run.

I have Rhode Island’s in a similar coop/run set up and don’t have this problem.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: