Chickens huddle in corner

Kymaro

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
Michigan
Good morning everyone, I am new here and have a question that I can not find the answer for (rare since I found every thing else)

Basic run down so you know their history:

I am new to my chickens, I am raising 8 chickens since they were 1 day old, they are 15 weeks old this week. I have 6 Isa Browns and 2 Ameraucanas, and we live in Michigan. I kept them in the brooder, 120 g water trough, until they were almost fully feathers, it stayed above 60° at night and 100% spoiled. :D They are in a store bought coop marketed for 10 chickens. Has a nesting area, a foraging area and 3 nesting boxes. At night they are kept in the nesting area. I let them out to the foraging area around 7 am and they are kept in that area til 3 o'clock in the afternoon when I let out to roam the yard (about 2 acers). They stay together in a group and find there own way back to the nesting area at dusk. When I am out in the yard they are under my feet. Ok that's the history of my girls

My question: While in the nesting box at night they are huddled together in a tight group in a corner - Is that normal? There are 2 roosting bars and a 3 inch edge on the nesting boxes. There is plenty of room and stays warm at night (stays around 70°), warmer in the nesting area if it's a sunny 80°- 90° day. There is a vent screen that I can open or close. It's always open during the day and closed most nights. (If it's important they huddle on the far side away from the vent screen and up against the door I use to check on them) I read somewhere that they can be afraid of any light at night (including moon light?) I have motion lights in the yard near the coop to ward off any unwanted guests, it is faced away from the coop. But I have started keeping the vent screen closed at night in case it is related to any light (very minimal as I still need a flash light to do a head count before closing up the coop and foraging area at dusk) I read they should spend their sleeping hours on the roosting bars or in the nesting boxes. There is ample amount of bedding in the nesting boxes and a thin layer on the rest of the floor in the inner coop area. The roosting bars are about 6 inches up from the extra area in the coop and they have around 2 foot head clearance. I have removed the bedding on the floor area were they huddle at to see if it discourages them from huddling in that corner. It has made no difference.

There - Long explanation but I wanted to include (or exclude) any options I have tried o help keep so many "Have you tried this?" responses. Please forgive any tardiness in getting back to responses as I am only able to get on the forum every few days.

Thanks all for helping me out. :bow

It's not moonlight, I don't think. My chickens have a windowseat perch and they all fight over it. Since you bought it, I'm wondering how chicken-friendly it is. Most manufacturers look for human-friendly things.
Can you post a photo of their sleeping area?

Thank you for such fast responses: I will try placing them on the roosting bars - interesting idea! I'm not sure on the getting scared part. I thought of that too, but unsure how to correct that. I was thinking they were scared of the moon light or any scents coming through the vent screen. Which is also a reason for shutting the vent at night. It up high so not likely of something putting there nose to it. I have a night motion camera, I'll place that so I can see if any larger unwanted guest inspect the coop.

Yes - I will take some pictures today and try to get them posted either later today or tomorrow. If it helps any before I can get pictures posted I bought a "Walk-in Annex Chicken coop" for 10 adult chickens, its manufactured by Precision. I will get some pictures posted later today or tomorrow.

When I moved my first batch of chickens to the chicken coop, they all huddled together in the board in front of the nest boxes. It's been about a month and now 7 chickens roost on one of the bars, while the other 5 chickens pile into a nesting box. Lol - it's the biggest 5 that pile into a box and the smallest 7 that roost.

This morning, I apparently woke them up when I did my morning head count. Some of the roosting chickens decided to walk to the other, higher roosting bar, kinda checking it out. It's closest to the door.

Just give your chickens some time...they are comfortable with how things are right now.

The lights - not sure about that. My chickens get moonlight in their coop, but there is no electricity to the coop. I have three chickens in my sunroom. They also get moonlight, as well as a small LED light on a timer for my ducks. My ducks are scared of the dark. And moonlight isn't enough for them. Yet.

"Walk-in Annex Chicken coop" for 10 adult chickens, its manufactured by Precision.
Welcome to BYC!
Gonna give you the darker(but honest) side of your situation.
Couldn't find that exact model with a quick google,
but my bet that coop is not big enough for 4 birds let alone 8-10.
It's a sad, and common, situation with prefabbed coops.
Many stories here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/1369955/?q=prefab+coops&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1
They are advertised to hold more birds than is healthy, the materials are often inferior, the design(nests, roosts, ventilation) is not conducive to 'what chickens want' and need.
Most folks build a bigger coop and use the tiny ones for grow out, isolation, broody coops, etc., some have been able to modify the coops to work out OK, at least in the short run.
This is my favorite tiny coop mod:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134399/help-hens-roosting-in-nest-boxes/10#post_17749535

Gonna try this - not sure if it will work

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/107804984811185958

If you get the same page as I get, it is the top left hand side - Grey with white trim and burgundy (spelling) roof. It was bought as Tracker Supply Co. but (by poor luck) is no longer on their web site.

The adjustments I have made for it is the foraging area now opens to a large pen - about 12 feet by 20 feet. But they rarely stay in that area as I did not make the walls high enough (advise from some where else) and they scale the wall in 1 jump :)

I'd love to stay longer - some many great ideas - but gotta go - I'll be back later with pictures.

Last edited:
I had to teach my chicks to use the roosts at first. Each night I'd put them up there one by one. By the third night a few were already there when I'd check and in less than a week they all started putting themselves there for bed. And we have a window right by the roosts and they don't mind at all. Before they got too big they would even roost on the window sill. With how hot it's been I keep the window open all the time for air circulation.

Sorry for the delay - I surely recognize that the coop is most likely too small, I don't think I even need to post any pictures - I have seen enough pictures and idea's here to know my judgement was naive and does not fit that of most. Unfortunately they will have to hang out at night in the store bought coop till next summer. They are still young and have lots of room for sleeping. I have the comfort in knowing during the day they have freedom to come and go as they please and have lots of land to play on during the day.

As for this concern with them huddled in the corner -
I did go out at night and move the girls around. I also started using the other door (different wall). Now after a few days when I go out, 2 or 3 will be on the other roost bar now. Thank you for wonderful advise! I believe now they will just need time. Sometimes I forget they were not raised with a 'Mommy' that showed them they way. Somethings are nature and others are nurture.

Thank you everyone.

*I'll figure out posting pictures and fun stuff on my home page - no need to waste time and comments here - I already know your going to tell me it's to small.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom