Chickens hurt my ducks!

stephanieperun

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2019
8DB55E76-6B7C-4EC4-951E-132502D310BC.jpeg
I’ve had my ducks for about three weeks now and this has never happened!! I came out this morning and they were scared to come out of the house! :( i’m only 17 and don’t have much money to buy anything and i don’t know what to do!!

Have you got a rooster? Or how do you know it was your chickens? Sorry you face this. :(

That being said... provide separation from the chickens, and keep the pool water clean (from poo just refreshed daily should be good)... those duck SHOULD recover just fine! Poor little sweeties. :love

I had one literally scalped by a raccoon... as long as they eating and drinking, their bodies should take care of it... What are you feeding?

Dump the dirty pool water (I know it's probably less than 24 hours old, but we don't want infected wounds). Give your ducks some fresh warm water to clean up in, in your house or in this pool will work, but dump the water again after they clean up. From this photo, it just looks like flesh wounds and they really don't look too bad. :hugsCheck that their wings are not injured. Make sure they have some fresh clean bedding, and that they are eating and drinking normal. Give them some drinking water in a bowl or bucket that will allow them to dunk their heads but not climb in. While their wounds are healing you don't want them swimming in their poo water, we want the wounds to stay clean. I think they will heal up just fine, though the feathers in those areas could be missing for quite some time. Keep an eye on them over the next 2 weeks for any signs of infection, smell, discoloration, drainage from the wounds. Find a way that you can keep them separate from the chickens for now. They may or may not be able to live peacefully together in future, but I would keep them separate while they heal, and perhaps separate until after all are sexually mature. As the chickens and ducks grow/age their hormones go crazy and they can act crazy, so if they can be separate until things settle down it will be better. A dog crate can be used, or if you have some fencing that you can run down the middle of their run it will work. Anything can be used from your kitchen or recycling as an extra food/water container. You can make this work without going to the store probably, get creative.

View attachment 1755395 I’ve had my ducks for about three weeks now and this has never happened!! I came out this morning and they were scared to come out of the house! :( i’m only 17 and don’t have much money to buy anything and i don’t know what to do!!
Id keep them seperated. You can sometimes find things on free groups that you can get things like fencing and things to make little huts for your ducks from. Same with feeders and waterers.

Back
Top Bottom