Chickens ignored the grow and starter feed I provided

Kurakurakulaku

Chirping
Jul 14, 2021
Help! I just got my chickens yesterday. They are 6 weeks old and vaccinated. I provided the grow and started feed (non-medicated). However, they both ignore the feed. Originally I bought the PVC style feeder and waterer. However, they are not aware of these PVC feeder and waterer (just walked passed through them). Then, I moved the feed & water to the baby chick feeder and waterer this morning. I saw one of them peck the feeder once then never come back to eat more.
Back in the hatchery, they eat layer mesh crumbles. Should I worry that they are not eating? Should I be patient and wait to see if they will adjust to the grower and starter feed? How long do I have to wait?
Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

I'd be more concerned about the water initially. If you've seen no activity around the waterer, try the baby chick trick of dipping their beaks in the water. Can't hurt. Likewise, when you want to transition them to the PVC waterer, manually press the nipples to bring out a few water drops and let them figure it out.

As for the feed, it may be mostly that they are going through the shock of transition. Chickens take a little while to adapt to change. I'd find out what feed the vendor uses and start them on the same feed initially. You can start mixing it with your new feed and transition them to the new feed over time.

Good luck.

Update: Thank you! I called the hatchery and asked about the feed they gave the chicks. He, then, suggested to grind my grow and starter feed first before giving the layer mash crumbles. It did the trick! Little babies ate some today ❤️. But then found another problem…ants are all over the coop. I am reading some suggestions now in the other thread.

Back
Top Bottom