Chickens improved our life! Let me count the ways...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Sep 17, 2009.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Was tempted to do laundry but have stopped my "laundress of the night" shift when DH moved the girls to the basement for overnights. Don't want to disturb their beauty sleep, or upset their dreams with noises....they are soooo sweet! So now I knit instead, with my feet up. And the 12 year old son has learned to launder his own during the daylight hours, all on his own! (Cant get "the look" without done laundry, and if mom isnt up all night doing laundry...)

So I must ask BYC forum, "How many ways have your chickens improved your life?"

We put up a beautiful white picket fence for our chickens. (to keep them safe from dogs.) Now my home is a pretty fortress of solitude, and I really enjoy the yard!

We built a shed for their henhouse, but now its my garden shed, and the city officials approved it, and now the landscape is getting done.

The basement is cleared/cleaned out so we can take good, good care of their overnight, tabletop habitat every morning. But I love the clean basement!

Overtired, cranky me was about to cry over being a mom and a nurse with no breaks when fat little hen looked so snuggly, I layed down on the lawn by her for 12 minutes in the afternoon sun before the little kids got home, and the older son caught me happy with fat little hen snoring on my belly.

The chickens are right. The sunny spot is a good place to stretch out and watch the sky. Some things I've learned from them: Its a good idea to laugh out loud when you're happy. Its a good idea to cry out for help when you're scared. Going to bed on time is healthy. Singing at the top of your voice is fun. Treats taste good. Scratch for treasure then show everybody what you found. Fluff up your friend before you cuddle in for a lap and a snuggle. Cock you head and smile when you're happy to see somebody, and say something sweet, and best of all, be patient.

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I dont know if it's necessarily a good thing that I can no longer stand to eat eggs that aren't homegrown. [​IMG]

But we are eating healthier eggs, and I'm cooking breakfast for DH more often, so those are improvements!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I love your post 6 chickens-it made me smile.[​IMG]

4. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    My chickens have given my family a (another) common bond and interest.
    I have learned to dig for worms to feed them and to gather nightcrawers after it rains.
    I have learned that chickens make great therapists.

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    OMG I forgot the eggs! There's that scientific study published by Mother Earth News about healthy backyard chicken eggs! They're really, really good for us! There's another way they've improved our life. Thanks for the reminder!

6. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    The chickens are right. The sunny spot is a good place to stretch out and watch the sky.

I like that! Very poetic! [​IMG]

Going to bed on time is healthy.

I know, I know, I know! They tell me that all the time too. I envy their finely honed circadian rhythms!

And I swear, the wonderful free-range eggs we get, high in Omega-3's, have made my toddler sharp as a tack! [​IMG]

Whenever I'm bummed out and having a bad day, they follow me around like so many eager puppies and their humorous antics always lift my spirits. [​IMG]

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Yes, they want to be where the action is. They LOVE to sit on the porch swing with the boys to hear a story book. DH calls them "kitties" and it makes me smile.

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Mine 'make' me get up and get going earlier than normal..I don't want to disappoint the girls!

I haven't sent $$ on those horrible tasting things from the groc store in four weeks! And hope I never have to again..

Since I am afraid to let them free range without me being there to watch over them---I 'have' to spend more time in the backyard--either sitting or putting around --- Which means less time with the tv roaring -- much improvement for my eyes, ears, brain and my soul!!!!

9. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    6chickens ~ nice post, I was smiling reading it. For us, chickens have really brought us together as a family. We all raised them, we all fought like heck for our ill chickens, and we all were incredibly sad when we lost some (my daughter and I cried, and cried hard). My daughter and my husband also built the coop together and picked out the breeds together, I think it was an amazing bonding experience for them. Lastly, it has taught us so much about just taking the time to 'see' things, like you were saying. They notice everything in the sky, on the ground, and they are so funny when they find a worm!! Such a small thing that makes them so happy. Oh my goodness those birds won my heart a long time ago [​IMG]

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6Chickens..
    Thanks for the post. Every night I get home from work and the chickens gather on the deck crying for me to come outside to give them some treats. I don't always give in, but I always feel great that they recognise the sound of my truck on the gravel drive, That they know which back door to gather around, and that they are there to entertain me after a day at work. I wish it could be 6pm all the time.

Imp- The stray cats do the same thing after dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by