Chickens improved our life! Let me count the ways...

6 chickens,
I had to smile when I saw your hometown. I live in Newberg,Or and have 6 hennies. My dad lives a mile away and has 5 hennies. My dads family is from St.Charles living off S. 7th avenue.
My aunt Martha and lots of other cuzes and Aunts and Uncles live there too. I haven't been back on about 9 years but sure love that little town. Cornell is the last name. My moms family was from Geneva. She graduated from Wheaton High. Glad you are enjoying your babies. I love to go out and see the eggs and then tuck them in at night.
lol.png

RachaelCornell -mother of all

Great post 6Chickens! Very nicely stated!
thumbsup.gif

My girls have given me a greater appreciation of life in general. I delight in the babies discoveries as they grow up and gain confidence in their surroundings...I cry like a baby when I lose one. They are an endless source of entertainment for me, far better than the television! Too bad they aren't up past sunset.

I've learned the basics of "chicken speak" and what many of their little calls and cries mean. I've learned the difference between the "I'd like a treat please" cry and the "please snuggle me mama" trill. I love the "I'm so happy here in mama's arms" sound, and Gimpy gives the best chicken hugs out of all of my girls!

Yup! They bring so very much to my life. Two and a half years into this business of keeping chickens for pets/pleasure/eggs....I couldn't imagine them not being with us, and I wonder how I ever got along without them
love.gif

Doing the weensy bit of daily coop care is fun, too. "Scooping Poop is Therapootic" is always on my mind, and since I use newspapers, I get in-the-know everytime I spread out clean flooring for my girls. Maybe thats why they're so smart!
roll.png

Dear 6 chicks,That was such a great post and so true.Those people who dont have chickens do not realize what they are missing.In the "hurry" and "busy" of todays world,our girls do help you to appreciate the little things.Our girls have a story of thier own.My D.h's brother had tried for years to get him to have chicks or/and livestock after we bought a handy house w/ 1 1/2 acres.D.h. brother had abt 50 chickens,cows,sheep and horses.When Dh's brother got sick w/cancer,Dh would drive 5 hrs to visit when ever he could.On April 2nd of 08,Dh called to say he would be there in 30 mins to visit.My B.I. told him to meet him @ tractor supply,as his order of girls were in.While there,B.I convinced DH to just get 4...He did and when driving home called to say,"youll never guess what I have"? I couldnt guess and he said 4 day old chicks...All of a sudden,eenie,meenie,miney n moe popped into my head and I said we should name them that and we did.We kept them in the master bath rm,our room was always full of kids and all the kids friends after class.We would all just sit and hold them.It was tough putting them out in the coop(our garden shed converted.) One month later my BI passed away and his wife said that he was the happiest guy and laughing as telling everyone,"I finally got my brother to be a chicken farmer!!!We put lawn chairs in the run area and we would sit out there all the time.My DH found sooo much comfort being there w/the girls as he missed his brother.One day I went out there and here sits DH w/all 4 girls on his lap and shoulders and all 5 of them were sleeping!!! It was so precious.We were devistated when we lost miney on 8/4 of this year,my boys took turns digging a hole and we bought a marker for her.All of us take care of the girls and my kids are always checking on them.DH and my 3rd son had some good quality hammer time as they re-did the inside of the coop to expand it.Last night at 1 am my daughter heard comotion outside, got me,her brother and the gun and we went to check on the girls.Since we have alot of preditors ard here.There were 3 deer outside the coop and for some reason our girls go crazy when the deer are in the yard.It is amazing how they worry abt the girls so much and it melts my heart that they will do what ever it takes to protect our babies.Even my neighbor keeps watch out for any critters ard.I wish I could let them free range.They do teach you alot and I never thought that chickens had so much personality,but they do.It doesnt matter whats going on in the evening but someone is always here to make sure the girls are locked it before dark and are safe..

You know, that health connection happened here, too. Son#1 has been recovering from a neuromuscular disease, and Dad pleaded "lets lay off the hospitals this year and just let him be for a change" and he said the pet chickens might help him break the ice with trying to integrate with kids again. So that was kind of the plan, until HIS pet chicken got sick.

So what happened next was a turning point. He took care of her. He took her in, and she became a house pet for a few months. He cleaned her up and fluffed her dry, and mixed mash for her to eat. Outside, he protected her from the other chickens, and he became her "flock". She hung around close to his ankles and told off the other chickens, ie"I'll tell my boy on you. I have this boy to protect me" which thrust him to hero status in her eyes, like she never even knew he was a sick kid, and eventually the boy gained the respect of all the chickens and insisted they accept her back into the flock. He superceded the top of the pecking order. He and his hen were like a wafer-thin team, bony little things, but resolved. He learned about patience. She's healthy today, back to her beautiful Silkie self. And he's doing well, too. They recovered from a lot this year, together.

In a strange way, the chickens helped him make friends. The guys who come over dont really like the chickens, one said "thats gross". But the healing that he and his hen went through this summer brought a whole new strength, and confidence. She still runs to him when he comes home, but now they just cuddle a little and go on their ways, she with her flock and grass and bugs, and he with his boy flock and guitars and YouTube and bikes. You can't safely mix the two flocks, but their connection is there, and its strong. She is thankful to him, she tells him so. They're thankful for each other. Its sweet.

Heart-warming post!

The chickens make me spend more time outside than inside (what housework??)

Protecting them while they free range is an excuse to do nothing but stand around with the broom and contemplate the sky.

The responsibility of daily care and protection of creatures that seem so vulnerable.

The opportunity to see DBF playing chicken-dad. We do not have kids, and it is so adorable to see and hear him interact with the girls, especially when he thinks I'm not looking.
wink.png

chickon baby and 6chickens:
hit.gif

What sweet stories. Thanks for sharing!

My FIL passed away a year ago in October. He had had chickens years ago before, but his interest was revived when I got my first flock. He was planning to get chicks in the spring and he wanted black australorps. Since he wasn't with us this spring to get his ba's, I got 6 and added them to my flock in his honor.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Very heartwarming!
hugs.gif

Fluffs! the americauna ("Roaster" is her name) is moulting! I already have a lunchbag full of lovely downy fluffs! They're perfect for making angels for the christmas tree. I'll have plenty to bring to the grade school for a holiday project. Ever see angels made from milkweed pods and downy fluff? the inside of the dried milkweed pod is irridescent like an oystershell, it makes a beautiful ornament .

I did see a book titled, "knitting with dog hair", but I have to admit the chickens provide far more entertainment for the dollar. I'm a dog lover, this is hard to admit: chickens are really good pets. Its not much like dogs, but its really good.

I'm off to hose down my front porch again. Cleanest front porch of my life. If it weren't for the chickens, I might never have noticed the real need for a clean front porch. I'm out there a lot now that I enjoy it's cleanliness.

6Chickens" Thanks for the post.

My chickens have helped me ease into retirement. I recently retired after 33 yrs. We had chickens back in the mid 90's and had to give it up for some work related changes. ALWAYS missd it. So now it has given me a first project after retiring. I built a coop and fenced in run.

They make me smile!!!

Back
Top Bottom