CHickens in buckets...who knew?

Quote:
We though about orange buckets, but went with green because i teach in the school district and our colors are green white.
smile.png
The other thing that's hard to see is we attached a small strip of 1x2 to the inside of the lid so if the chicken chose to perch on it, it would be able to support our heavy breeds.

I LOVE that idea! And the way the lids are sawed partially and put on to keep the nest material in-ingenious!

I actually saw an article in Backyard Poultry about a company that makes buckets especially for chickens. http://www.fowlstuff.com/Products.html

You
know, if you wanted to buy specially made chicken buckets.

I think the bucket thing is brilliant. The cat box thing might be even MORE brilliant!

Nice nests! The local children's zoo does one better in one of their bantam pens, they have a bucket for a nest too. But instead of a 5 gal. bucket laid on it's side, it's a little metal pail hung from the wall by it's handle. When we were there last month I saw one hen in the bucket and another on the roost nearby waiting for her turn. I kind of wish I had gotten a picture of it, but I was too busy trying to get cute shots of my toddler feeding the goats.

Back
Top Bottom