Chickens in Charlotte, NC

quetzala

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Hello, all.
I am new to BYC and chickens in general. My husband and I have taken in 4 chicks from a friend who moved and could not bring her new chicks along. We live in the Plaza Midwood area of CLT, and we need help! I don't even know if it is legal to keep them in this area. We have no HOA, but the city mandates they be at least 20 feet from any building. Our property is 200x50 ft. Does the coop need to be smack in the middle of the back yard? Also, if we can't legaly have them, any tips on not getting found out? They are way too cute to turn in to Animal Control! We have them in a plastic dog kennel with a heat lamp, feeder, and waterer right now, but I expect them to get big fast. My husband is in love with them, and has named them Susanna 1, 2, 3 and 4. My friend said they are "black sexlink" chicks, but I can't find this breed on this site. Is that another name for just a black chicken?
Thanks for any info and tips!

Jenny in Charlotte.

Go to any of the hatchery websites (McMurray, Cackle, etc) and read about black sex links. It just means the checks can be sexed at hatching because the males and females are different colors.

They are nice birds---I have a few of them. Very reliable layers and friendly and calm. You'll enjoy them.

PS They do make a lot of noise. One of my black sex links is such a blabbermouth. She talks loudly and constantly when I am out there.

Good luck with your new flock!!

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

if for some reason you have a problem, we can give them a good home. I live just outside of denver, nc (that isn't far from huntersville/cornileus). not sure what part of charlotte plaza midwood is (although I have heard of it). if anything you can give your neighbors free eggs eventually lol

Hi Jenny,

We live in NoDa, and just ordered our first chicks! We will be getting eight chicks the last week of July.....I have heard there were a few people who live in Plaza who have chicks, so its good to meet you!

Randy

Hi Jenny, I live in the plaza-midwood area too... When I first got my chicks (3 of them) I called animal control to get the permit... they are allowed, depending on how big your lot is... if you have an area in your yard that is 20 feet away from all buildings then you'll get approved. I called them before I built the coop, which I planned on being mobile and he approved my permit (for 4 chickens) without knowing for sure where the coop was going to be. I'd say the best thing you could do (to help you sleep in the morning when they're making a fuss) is make nice with the neighbors while the girls are still cute & cuddly & promise eggs when they come. My neighbors LOVE my girls, I expected a little bit of push-back from them, but I was lucky and got super supportive neighbors who were even upset when re-homed our rooster... they loved the crowing. I hope your neighbors are as great as ours! And if they are... don't bother with animal control... it's $40 a year! That's more than I make in egg money!

Quote:
I actually thought the ordinance said the coop has to be 25 feet from the property line...20 feet away from all buildings is even better for me though, and I imagine would be better for a lot of people! Thanks for the info.

Hi Charlotte people!

I live in NoDa! We are in the process of buying or building a coop. We aren't going to get chickens until that task is complete. A few questions:

1. Did you get a permit?
2. Did you build or buy your coop?

I'm looking online and plans and trying to decide if it is still going to cost me $100s. Advice?

As far as chickens go there are thousands of names for them depending on who breed them or what mixture of chicken they are. Black sex links are very common, you will know that is what they are when they get in all of there adult feathers in around the hackles (nape of neck) they will get gold or red looking feathers if this happens then they are defiantly sex links and they are excellent egg layers you should get 1 to 2 eggs per chicken per day (even in the winter if you keep a light on them).
If you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me back we have been raising them all my life.

Jessi

Hi guys - I'm brand new here - actually created an account to reply to tfhis specific thread
smile.png

I hit the Municode site linked above (thank you for the link!) and I was disapopointed to see this first carve out:

(1)
Fowl and other specifically identified animals. The keeping of chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, geese, pheasants or other domestic fowl or rabbits shall be in compliance with the following:
a.
Such animals must be confined in a coop, fowl house or rabbit hutch not less than 18 inches in height. The fowl must be kept within the coop or fowl house and the rabbits in the hutch at all times. http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=19970

So... that means there's no free range allowed in CLT?
roll.png

is that why mobile mini-runs ar epopular? So they can be kept "inside" while still being moveable?

I had planned on allowing for free range in my yard since the back yard is completly enclosed with 2x3" mesh attached to split rail fencing.
hmm.png

Thanks in advance - hope this thread is still alive!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom