Chickens in coop

Shooter3866

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2021
Should I close up my nesting box at night if chickens are not laying yet? Chickens go into their coop and get into the nesting box make a mess (understandably). I have several areas they can roost off the ground. Am I making a big deal out of nothing here?

Could you please post some photos of your nests, roosts, and how they relate to each other? Are the roosts higher than the nests? How easy is it to get to the roosts? How many chickens? How old are they? How long have they been sleeping in the nests? Are they sleeping in the nests or just visiting during the day? You say they are making a mess in the nests. Are they pooping in there or just scratching things around and out of the nest?

How old they are and maybe a photo showing the comb/wattles may help us see if they are getting ready to lay. That could be an important clue.

Typically if the roosts are higher than the nests they don't sleep in the nests but each situation is unique. You are having some issues. I'm trying to find out what is going on and try to come up with suggestions. That's easier to do if I have a better idea of what is going on.

The only time a chicken should be on the nest at night is to hatch eggs. wire off net boxes until 20 weeks or you get a squatter. which ever comes first. If i find a chicken on the nest at night she gets a day or two in the broody cooler/ chicken jail. The 18"x18" raised hw cloth cage in the coop to cool her body temp to stop the broody hormones. I collect my eggs at dusk and close the run door. I look at butts and combs as i get a count.

Last edited:
We blocked out our nesting boxes until we found are first egg. We opened up the nesting boxes and they started laying eggs in the boxes the next day.

1633053920420.png

1633053962329.png

Back
Top Bottom