Chickens in Monroe, NY?

flagg6805

Hatching
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Here is the code that addressess the keeping of chickens in Monroe, NY:

Livestock shall be permitted subject to the following requirements:

(1) Livestock shall include goats, sheep, horses, mules and cattle and similar animals, but shall specifically exclude poultry, hogs and pigs.

That is the extent of what the Monroe, NY town code has to say about keeping chickens, ie, that livestock is permitted according to the listed requirements, but that livestock does not include poulty. So does poultry fall under some other category or regulations? It doesn't say. Is poultry specifically excluded? No, like I said, this is the only mention of poutry in our town code. Nothing specifically outlaws chickens, nothing specifically permits them? I'm guessing that if it's not explicitly disallowed, I'm good.

I also did talk to the building inspector before building my coop and he told me that he was not aware of any regulations banning the raising of chickens so I think I'm in the clear, but I'm wondering if anybody has a different interpretation of this statue or if anybody has spoken to anyone at town hall about the matter.

Thanks!
Ricardo

Hmm, does seem odd that they are grouped with pigs and hogs, but if the code does not specifically say no chickens then you will probably be okay. You might want to call someone at city hall to ask specifically about keeping chickens and see what they say. Good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom