Building Codes and coop

BladeFireLight

Chirping
9 Years
May 12, 2014
the local laws say
The chicken facility and run shall comply with all applicable city building and zoning codes and must be consistent with the requirements of any land use regulation
then the building code section To provide certain minimum standards, provisions, and requirements for safe and stable design, methods of construction, and uses of materials in buildings hereafter erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, relocated and converted, the most recent edition of the International Building Code, the most recent edition of the International Residential Code, the most recent edition of the International Mechanical Code, the most recent edition of the International Energy Conservation Code and the most recent edition of the International Fuel Gas Code, and their amendments, published by the International Code Council and printed in book or pamphlet form, are hereby incorporated by reference in addition to all amended editions as though printed in full herein insofar as said codes do not conflict with state statutes.

I'm fairly sure the international building code is not going to cover a chicken coop's separately
Am I likely to have specific standers on how the coop is assembled like how rafters attach (Wichita Cabin coop does not use hangers or duck cuts) or what wood to use where?

It shall be constructed in a way that abides by residential building code. Unfortunately if you're not familiar with the code you may need the input of a contractor. I wouldn't use IBC it'll be way too much information and leave you confused. Someone who builds nice wood sheds in your area sound know all you need

In most places a shed does not need a permit, where I am in California I can build 10x12 without a permit. So check on that first...
Here anything over 100sq ft (10x10) needs one, however nothing portable so if people go larger they just build on top of 4x4s laying on the ground to act as skids to skirt around that. Here we also have to build to fema hurricane codes. Different areas have different levels. Where I am its second from the most secure out of 4 or 5 zones

Similar here in FL, though it varies city to city and county by county.
While the locasl ordinance does incorporate standards by reference (substantially all do), many of those standards saimply don't apply to coops - you aren't plumbing it, it doesn't require permanent electrical hookups, and the portions of the code applicable to housing humans are largely irrelevant as well. For the rest, the small size of the typical coop means you end up exceeding code requirements with off the shelf lumber and conventional designs (even minimally built conventional designs in many cases).

But start by looking thru your zoning regarding temporary and ancilliary structures, then sheds and barns.

If you still end up with an inspector/building dept that's a PITA (assuming a building permit is even required), there are plenty of free web sites that will do basic wind load calculations for a structure for free, or you can do it with a calculator. Its obvious stuff - don't build a 10' high, 20' long, only 3' deep structure and place it perpendicular to your prevailing winds. Everyone knows that's in danger of being tipped over. Squares are easy to build, have more internal space per material used than a rectangle of similar perimeter, and have no weak sides. Squat is good, tall and narrow is not. The closer the center of gravity is to the ground, the better off you are. Basic amusement park physics

Back
Top Bottom