Chickens in New Hampshire

FCinNH

Chirping
Oct 28, 2018
New Hampshire
I've had backyard chickens here in New Hampshire for 5 or 6 years now. I started with some Dominiques that I got from a friend who was raising them and subsequently got some Barnevelders, silver-laced Wyandotts and Speckled Sussex. I raise for eggs and need cold hardy chickens around here. We also have three dogs, and two horses, one for riding and one for driving. We live in a small rural town on a little more than three acres. I have never had luck with roosters; they always attack me and attack some of the hens while favoring others. Of the 4 breeds I know, the Sussexes are the friendliest and most personable, so as time goes by will will get more of them.

About three years ago in the spring I lost three of the eight Dominiques to a weasel. We hardware clothed their coops and that seems to have stopped. Last night (mid fall) I lost 4 of 13 hens to what I am pretty sure was a raccoon or a group of raccoons, so I am reading the threads to 1) see if it most likely was raccoons, and 2) what to do about it. The yard and coops are in the backyard, behind a 4 foot chain link fence and fenced in with an electric fence as well. We have not been locking the chickens in their coop at night but will do so now. Our dogs do not roam the yard at night generally, though they can.

I love our little farm and the rural area we live in. I grew up in a large metropolitan area and found it uncongenial; too "industrial" and built up, not enough nature and wildlife and too great a press of humanity.

I've had backyard chickens here in New Hampshire for 5 or 6 years now. I started with some Dominiques that I got from a friend who was raising them and subsequently got some Barnevelders, silver-laced Wyandotts and Speckled Sussex. I raise for eggs and need cold hardy chickens around here. We also have three dogs, and two horses, one for riding and one for driving. We live in a small rural town on a little more than three acres. I have never had luck with roosters; they always attack me and attack some of the hens while favoring others. Of the 4 breeds I know, the Sussexes are the friendliest and most personable, so as time goes by will will get more of them.

About three years ago in the spring I lost three of the eight Dominiques to a weasel. We hardware clothed their coops and that seems to have stopped. Last night (mid fall) I lost 4 of 13 hens to what I am pretty sure was a raccoon or a group of raccoons, so I am reading the threads to 1) see if it most likely was raccoons, and 2) what to do about it. The yard and coops are in the backyard, behind a 4 foot chain link fence and fenced in with an electric fence as well. We have not been locking the chickens in their coop at night but will do so now. Our dogs do not roam the yard at night generally, though they can.

I love our little farm and the rural area we live in. I grew up in a large metropolitan area and found it uncongenial; too "industrial" and built up, not enough nature and wildlife and too great a press of humanity.

Welcome, my fellow NH-er!! Where in NH are you? I'm in Southern Hillsborough County. I lost one of my original flock to a hawk in 2016. I lost 2 hens to a suspected racoon attack this summer and almost lost one to an ermine (weasel) a few weeks back. I just remodeled our barn and used all 1/2" and 1/4" hardware cloth to predator proof the coop area. It took forever - and I still have a few spots to harden up - but I'd father make the investment now and not risk losing any of my flock. I have 2 hens that are 2yrs - an Americauna and a Bielfelder - and 12 chicks that are 8 weeks (2 Cuckoo Marans, 8 Barred Rocks - 4 are cockrels - and 2 NH or Production Reds). Someone here also thought it was a good idea to pick up 2 Pekin Duck chicks so they are in a separate area of the coop.

The wildlife is awesome and I love it, but there are a ton of animals that like to prey on chickens so it's a constant battle.

Welcome to BYC!! It is an amazing community and invaluable resource!!
:welcome

Welcome Wagon.gif to Backyard chickens!

I am sorry you lost your Dominique's

Back
Top Bottom