Chickens in Permaculture

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shortgrass, Jun 12, 2015.

1. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Stunning! I see a breeding project in the future; I doubt i can get DH to fork over the price of a cow for a chicken lol...those are some very pricey stock! Are they bred from Old English? Wondering if I can save a buck and breed from those? But my, that has my head spinning around breeding Americans... If I were in it for the money lol... These would just ne going out to pasture, literally lol...hate to fork over that much for what is essentially really smart coyote bait ;)

2. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Aha! :D I vermicompost! Redworms would be diggable... I don't think i could ever get enough for 100 chooks without having to go into major worm breeding too though... Hmmm more research needed here... ;)

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    One hundred chickens / chooks in my opinion will require nearly 20 acres to potentially get away from need of imported feeds / feedstuffs. Then you would only be able to maintain that number for less than 1/2 of the year (production season). Going through winter with too many birds will not only deplete forages, it will prevent forage regrowth the following spring. Look into taking advantage of drift.

4. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Drift...as in snow drifts?

I've got this....
    [​IMG]

No idea how much is thete lol....a years' worth of sheep poo... I suppose 50 tons? Lol its 3 rows 100' long, 8' wide, 5' high....hoping IT can sustain some grubby/ redworm/ weed sprouts through winter...its in an old alfalfa corner of a half a circle of wheat... Thinking piles plus hay pkus wheat grain left on ground should be good? I guess it's worth a shot ;)

I have a lot of work to do lol :D

5. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Sorry double post ;P

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  6. That's a lot of poo! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

That amount of feces I do not associate with permaculture: too much. May also prove too 'hot' nutritionally for some worms.

Drift I mean involves arthropods (insects mostly) that move about landscape and can concentrate in areas. When chickens deplete an area drift can replenish it. This only works when insects are mobile and can be directional as impacted by wind and surroundings. If lands near by do not support abundant insect assemblages drift does not work well. You can enhance by attracting nigh flying insects. Some insects better than others plus you have a seasonal component.

8. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Ahhh ok gotcha..like June bugs in June grasshoppers in July... Ok i will see whst king of grubby protien i can find to attract around here when it's cold...the worms were the only thing i could think of that might be able to use this pile...which IS probably more like 50% poo and 50% straw and hay...it came from cleaning out lambing barns si its not 100% poo, but that IS why its sitting there composting...some of it will go on the cornfield in spring ;)

Lol Lacy Blues, it IS a lot of poop, ...imagine it all started under my kitchen sink with a box of worms and a dream hahaha ;) ... Seriously though, it takes a lot of hay to make this much poop so it most definitely gets used. I've got a stack of old tree stumps just itching to be covered in it :)

9. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

So technically speaking, to be consideref "permaculture", I would be best to leave it in the corral? Or maybe scattered more? I understand that it's because it's considered " fertilizer"?... I don't have anything else to do with it haha ;)

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by