Chickens in the Rain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken03, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Can chickens stay out in the rain? Do they care if they get wet or should you put them in when it rains? Thanks for any info.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    If it's warm I let my chickens run around in the rain. Some days they look like drowned rats. In cold weather I keep them locked up in the coop because they will get soaked and probably very cold.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    haha. i have ducks, i've never had to worry about them getting cold when they are wet!! i also don't have to worry about them getting too dirty and not being able to get clean. they give themselves baths!!!! sorry. i just felt the need to post this. i'm not trying to make fun of you or anything. but i agree with the post above even though i don't have chickens. thats what i would do.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Full grown chickens are fine in the rain. Mine have been playing in it all day.
    They've also played in ice storms with absolutely no harm done. It was just another day to them.

5. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    The only time I dont open the coop is when its way below zero. it rained today, some were out some stayed in. Ive done this for a year and a half with no problem.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My Leghorn Rooster prefers to sleep in the rain. Don't ask me why. I have no idea why. He is 1 year old and refuses to go in the 3 coops that I have for my chickens. And there is PLENTY of room. He sleeps high on this platform that I have "re-constructed" just for him after finding out his weather of choice to sleep in. It's weird. I have tried putting him in the coops for weeks at a time and he makes a BIG FUSS and irritates the rest of the hens and roosters. He will not stop making noise until he GETS OUT. So, I let him out and he gets back on his platform, finds his spot and tucks in his head and goes to sleep. I have a wild turkey that sleeps next to him, so there are no hawk or owl predators that have tried to attack him.

7. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The rain doesn't seem to bother my chickens in the least bit. When it was in the "negative" temps, I made the stay in the coop but the rest of the time they when outside. They do have a covered area but given a choice of staying in the covered area or going out to the yard, they take the yard unless it is very hot. Do you have hardy breeds?

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    My chickens decide for themselves if they want to go out in the rain or not. Most generally they do.

9. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Mine all run around in the rain. I worried about them aqt first but they seems to be happy as clams. They do spend more time in the coop when it rains though.

I just make sure they have food and water in the coop during nasty weather other than that they choose for themselves.

10. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    They will come in if they are cold, if not they are fine, Nature has a way of taking care of itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by