Chickens in the run for the first time

pgras123

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Greenfield Indiana
We live in a flood plain and the barn will flood - it has 10 foot side walls so we were able to build a Hen House 2.5 off the ground, it is all contructed with an attached run. I have an 8 foot 2 X12 as a ramp that leads down to the run.

The problem, my 9 birds don't walk up the thing to go in at night , they are all huddled up in the dark in the corner of the run.

Yes I put on the light in the hen house and even took the outside feed in early and even thought if I just leave them out there for a few extra hours they would get the idea and walk up the ramp and let themselves in, Of course they walk down it (most of them) they rest just kind of fly down it. It really isn't that much of an incline.

Any ideas on how to get them to come in at night? One other thing when can I start the scratch? Should I use that to get them in? We bought them at the farm store on March 8, I would say they are now 10 weeks old. Thanks to all.

Did you try putting treats up the ramp? And then some inside. I used oatmeal and my chickens love Honey Combs. LOL but it worked. Good luck. I had to do that with my 8 week olds.

Sorry I don't know about the scratch.
sad.png

I'm a "New Egg" too, so I can only tell you what I've read, which is to keep them "cooped up" for a few days inside, so they'll get used to the idea that that is home, then they should go in on their own. Hope that's helpful for you!

last summer I put my pullets out when they were 7 wks. old. For 3 days straight they wouldn't go up the ramp. Even with rain. Eventually they got it. Just maybe put them inside for a day or two then open it up to the world again.

Quote:
Yes, that's the way for them to realize that inside the coop is their real home, their nighttime home.

Back
Top Bottom