Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just spending a sunny day in the yard was relaxing
big_smile.png

Your coop and run are gorgeous. Very nice job!

SC - glad you had a day to relax a bit.

WV - X2, your chicken set up looks fantastic!

Meant to pick some apples myself today, but didn't make it. I want to make a cobbler so badly. Neighbor gave us some pears, is a pear cobbler any good? :) Cinnamon stix sounds really good.

Step away from CL... LOL Heck, as good as you are at refurbishing them, and if the price is that good, buy them, refurb them, and sell them!

Pear cobbler is awesome if you either use pears that don't fall apart when baked, or if you pick them when they are still ripe-firm but showing a bit of color...just starting tp soften at the neck.

I pick up fallen pears and apples from my trees and make applepear sauce, it's great and you can use full-ripe for that.

Pear cobbler is awesome if you either use pears that don't fall apart when baked, or if you pick them when they are still ripe-firm but showing a bit of color...just starting tp soften at the neck.

I pick up fallen pears and apples from my trees and make applepear sauce, it's great and you can use full-ripe for that.

Might try that tomorrow. Just ate a piece of one and they are nice and firm.

Meant to pick some apples myself today, but didn't make it.  I want to make a cobbler so badly.  Neighbor gave us some pears, is a pear cobbler any good?  :)  Cinnamon stix sounds really good.

Step away from CL... LOL  Heck, as good as you are at refurbishing them, and if the price is that good, buy them, refurb them, and sell them!

I've made a pear blueberry cobbler that was a pretty big hit. I liked it. And your coop looks great!

SC-I hope you get some more time to relax.

Walnut-I think your fancy Easter eggers look awesome.

Turkeys are quieter than crowing roosters by a long shot, and the gobbles sound much nicer IMO.

Not too many people raise heritage turkeys around me, and Narragansetts are one of the most beautiful heritage varieties. You process them just like chickens, slice the two major neck arteries while not slicing the trachea, and let them bleed out. With large birds, it's best to wrap them in a bath towel to bind the wings for your own safety. The wings will hurt if they slap you, same as geese and other large fowl. For my really big birds, like a 52 pound broad breasted tom I once raised, I just took a scalpel-sharp chef's knife and sliced along the side of his neck as he lay sunbathing in the garden. No panic, no fuss, no fight.

My Narragansetts have never been temperamental. They are very inquisitive and friendly, I can pick up the tom and walk around with him under my arm at any time, and you may have seen pictures of Baby, my former house turkey.

The hens laid an average of about 90 eggs each for me this year. Last year I had a hen start in January, this year the first egg was March, and I am still getting a couple of eggs a week. I was getting 4-5 eggs a week at peak from each of my three yearling hens.

If I had to choose between raising chickens and turkeys, I'd raise turkeys.
Thank you, all great to know! Thank you so much for sharing! I am soaking everything up!
hugs.gif

What sorta coop/pen laying space will I need for them, and does lighting in the covered area have any effects on laying time?

Some fresh photos of my youngest batch of "Fancy Easter Eggers". These are crosses of my Salmon Faverolle x Ameraucana rooster over both EE hens.

Her colors with the neck lacing are very pretty, and she has nice muffs and beard.

This one never sits still, but the copper feathers are fairly well laced with black.

I love the black beard and gray shanks on this one.

This one has feathered legs and nice muff and beard. It also has hackles and saddle feathers, and clucks like a hen. Others from the same batch were already sold off as cockerels and I am curious to see if this one ends up crowing or laying. By the feathers I'd say roo but the voice and behavior is all girl.

And the Oregon Gray sport is growing out nicely.

No barring on the tail feathers, just mixed/mottled. I can't wait to see what the next moult brings.
very nice!

I went to get a few apples to make a pie, and ended up at an orchard picking 25 pounds of mixed varieties. Gonna be putting up pie filling for the next few days...

Made a batch of bread dough as the girl wanted cinnamon stix and I wanted cloverleaf rolls to go along with our steaks tonight after hockey.

I have the last piece of the GQF incubator half painted. Once that is done, I can finish the case assembly and wiring. You'd never guess it was close to 20 years old, caught on fire, and taken over as a rodent nest.

I am so tempted...there are a few GQF incubators out there on CL right now. I don't need them. I DO NOT NEED THEM. I keep telling myself I do not need them. But the price is sooo good!
As quick as you are to making over, you should be able to turn good profits! why not purchase and see what happens!

Ok, so here are a few pics of the mostly-finished building/coop/run. Still have some work to do on the watering system, but can use hanging waterers until we get that part done. The outside security was the prime issue. The brick walkway was a must, because of the red clay ground. The rain we had for several days made it horrible. But luckily, today was beautiful!

The nest boxes are inside the storage area, so easy to gather eggs. The back area can be accessed by the chickens from under the back side of the wall, and I can fill feeders and waterers from inside, through a door to either side. That area is separated by wire, so the breeds can't mix. Big Guy, Punkin, and the reds will still be able to free-range through their automatic door. Once I move the lavenders, they will stay in the run unless I am there to let them out and supervise.

For anyone who doesn't know, this is at our camp/farm, which is about 45 minutes from my house. Its our weekend retreat, and any other time we feel like going there.

Oh, the chickens were like kids while we were building... into everything! Saturday night, I thought they had all gone into their coop. Got up this morning, and counted 7 girls. Went to get eggs, and one chicken had gotten locked in the building. From the looks of the droppings, she roosted in the lavenders' coop, then made herself a nest on the shelf in the back of the building to lay her egg this morning!

And I have to say, my body is feeling all that work! I'm too old to be climbing on roofs! Not to mention, yesterday we had a sheet of plywood sticking up out of the back of the pickup truck, and I was looking down, and ran right into it HARD with my forehead and the corner of my eye. Looks like I was in a cat fight!

Love it!!!!
ya.gif
functional !!!!! and pretty!!!!!!! where did you get your fan? and what size is it? I want to get a larger one for our shed and that looks perfect!

Me too. This year the leaves had black spots on the leaves. I was going to treat them with neem oil, but I didn't. Should we be fertilizing them now? Anyone know about apple trees?

I know that I didnt spray with seven and those little white bugs ate all the leaves LOL

Love it!!!!
ya.gif
functional !!!!! and pretty!!!!!!! where did you get your fan? and what size is it? I want to get a larger one for our shed and that looks perfect!

Thanks! I think we got that fan at Lowes or HomeDepot. Its an attic vent fan, we had bought for our last house before we moved, so we've had it for a long time. Glad to finally have a use for it! I think its about 14-18", and has a thermostat, so we can adjust when it runs.
Might be this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_62506-228-53319_1z0uax2__?productId=3143421&pl=1
I see they have solar ones too, but they are expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom