Chickens just sitting on the coop in the rain last night

Wizbop

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Riddle me this, chicken people. I have to put my chickens in their coop every night (don't ask. . . they want to sleep outside roosting on top of their coop, I guess). So, last night it was raining and there they are perched on top IN THE RAIN. I thought chickens didn't like the rain. They seemed perfectly content when I put them inside. What weirdos! They were soaking wet. They get in there to lay their eggs. Why don't they go in their coop when it is raining or at least under it.
idunno.gif
During the day when it rains, they hide underneath the stairs on my deck.

My hens are out in the rain all the time, it does not bother them at all. They love to scratch out in the yard so it does not matter if it is freezing, raining, snowing they stay out.

Sounds like they need to know they should sleep IN the coop. They have it in their heads that they sleep on top. The only way to change that is to keep them in the coop for a few days. Then they will know to go in at night and you won't be waiting until dark to move them in.

Quote:
I see your point. But, would you do this w/ 10 mo old hens? And, we have a tractor coop, so there's not a lot of room in there. It's an A frame and I have three birds. Basically, just room for them to get in turn around and roost. I would feel cruel making them stay in there for that long. Or are you just talking about quaranteening them to the actual coop and not just the top part where they lay/roost?

Are you saying that your chickens are outside of the tractor and on top of it? If so, just make them stay inside the tractor for a few days and they will go in on their own after that.

But if you are saying they have a tractor as a run and they are sleeping on top of the roosting/sleeping area I would not suggest confining them to a tiny space.

Quote:
This one.
I think they just want to be up high and sleep outside, but I'll try it. I'm sure they'll be super angry at me, though.

Back
Top Bottom