Chickens keep pooping on the deck and cement.

chickenlover007

Crowing
Sep 21, 2020
PNW
I have a large backyard. There is more than enough space and grass and things to hide in and play with for my chickens. And yet, even with all this space plus a spacious coop and run just for them, when I let them out to free range THEY GO AND POOP IN THE ONE FRACTION OF THE YARD I DON'T WANT THEM IN! The worst part is, I have a sneaking feeling that they know I don't want them there. Whenever I come outside and they're on the deck and thy see me, they scamper away. I was once scaring them off the deck, and my RIR looked me right in the eye, and pooped right in front of me. I have to pressure wash the deck so that our guests (and me) don't step in poop:sick. I have tried everything to get them to stay off. I scare them off the deck and cement whenever I see them, I covered the ground in lemon juice ans spices once, it was supposed to sting their feet when they walked there but as far as I could see it did nothing. I have cut down on their free range time and it is still like running a parkour course when you try to walk around without stepping in it. I only have 5 birds I have no idea how they generate this much poop. I have tried almost every method short of buying and installing motion activated sprinklers all around that area. Any advice?

Last edited:
Either build them a run, don’t have chickens, fence off that area, or learn to live with it. This is the life of chickens. They poop. Everywhere.

We deal with the same issue at our house. We have 5 acres but their favorite huddle spot is in front of the kitchen door where they poop all day. Our solution is to build a run, which is in progress.

I really don’t believe they know not to be where you don’t want them to be.

The only thing I know of is a fence. Either you fence them in or you fence them out.

I don't know what that deck looks like. It probably has things to perch on. They like to perch. It may have shade so they can get out of the sun or places they can hide under to try to keep hawks from seeing them. There may be other attractions. Whatever, they like it there and it is where they want to hang out.

Use treats to get them off the deck and they will soon learn that they get treats if they stay off the deck
I've tried that, I've never put treats on the deck, but after that, they started coming onto the deck looking for treats. Chickens in general can be kind of smart ish, but I think mine are particularly stupid. I will try once again though
: )

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys are all right. In my experience I've found it impossible to keep them off, and I guess if I don't want to put an eyesore of a fence up I'll just have to live with it. I just thought I'd see if anyone here knew a magic method or something. Thanks for the great advice : )
I feel your pain... my chickens have a 1 acre run and whenever anyone gets out the first thing they do is poop on my porch. They know that I’m inside; they see me come out of that door with their treats and salad scraps... they know they you = food. We fenced in the area bc it was easier, and it’s not an eye sore.... just looks like part of the farm!

I feel your pain... my chickens have a 1 acre run and whenever anyone gets out the first thing they do is poop on my porch. They know that I’m inside; they see me come out of that door with their treats and salad scraps... they know they you = food. We fenced in the area bc it was easier, and it’s not an eye sore.... just looks like part of the farm!
Sadly, I don't live on a farm, I live within the city limits but so close to the country that we're allowed to have chickens. I just have an abnormally large yard. I wish I lived on a farm, then I would purchase horses : ) The other members of my family don't feel the same though, that's why we don't live there :gig

My 3 girls also prefer my patio, patio furniture and hanging out at my slider, kitchen bedroom and family room . They know where we hang out abd as soon as they here my voice they are at the door waiting for their chia abd hemp seeds. I bought a drape/screen for my patio. Although they can walk right through it still, they haven’t quite figured that out yet they stop right at the screen now.

Back
Top Bottom