Chickens, Kids, and other critters ::waves::

Theldara

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - I've been helping with my friend's flock for about 18 months now. She gave us 4 of her hens in the spring, once we built our own coop. I ordered 3 more females from a hatchery in August. Four arrived, thrived, and here we are!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 4 adults and 4 9 1/2 week olds.

(3) What breeds do you have? The adults - Barred Plymoth Rock (2 yo, named Roxy Dangervest), Cackle Hatchery Easter Egger (1 year old, named RainbowChickenDinosaur), Welsummer (1 year old, named Miss Ruffles), and Black Amercuana (1 year old, named EnderLily). The babies - 2 Cackle Hatchery Easter Eggers and 2 Buff Orpingtons, all born 24 August 2020.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Eggs :) But we also enjoy hanging out with them. The kids love to feed them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? 3 kids, multiple pets, and homeschooling don't really leave "hobby" time!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We used to be reptile keepers, before we had kids! We closed up the breeding operation and let that scaled crew naturally pass for several years before we decided to have kids.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? It's been recommended often. I finally joined today because I'm terribly sad that one of our Buff Orpingtons is apparently a boy. We've thought so since 6 weeks, but we kept hoping we were wrong. I'd specifically ordered a "small city/town" order of females to avoid this, as we cannot have a rooster here and I knew that we'd get attached to whatever we raised
383290CE-8489-4BA2-8E0E-21F8A68C3CA9.JPG
8B837EDF-E5D3-410A-B8E7-CCB985F40AB0.JPG
. I don't mind roosters personally, my friend has one and he's a champ, but the houses are much too close here for the noise. The hatchery sexing rate for the Buffs is only 85-90% though, I should've clicked sex link, but I really wanted a pair of Orpingtons! Now we are attached and are still going to have to give him up. He can probably go live at my friend's, if we get him there in time there are enough females and space that the existing rooster might allow it, but it's a gamble. I really don't want him to go and showed up here to poke around for hope with some of the other Orpington pictures, but I think we're 98% sure now that she is a he, so heartbreak's coming. Such a sweet chicken, too.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry you ended up with a cockerel. Vent sexing is usually only 90% guaranteed.
I would try really hard to find someone to take him that does not already have a resident rooster. They very rarely take to another male showing up and going after THEIR girls.
I tried to raise a junior rooster in the flock and bought him as a chick. Things went fine when Jr was still a cockerel. But once he got older, he had enough of being run off the ladies and started challenging Sr. One day, Sr was napping outside near his girls and Jr jumped him and bloodied him up pretty good. Jr still came out of that fight on the short end of the stick and took the beating of his life. They fought every time they were put back in the pen together.
Jr now lives as a breeder rooster far away from Sr.

Back
Top Bottom