chickens killed

jibmaster

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 1, 2008
My neighbors dog got into my backyard and killed three of my chickens.
What sort of compesation should I expect?

What breed of chickens were they and what age? Where they in a fenced yard? A closed pen? Given that they were protected when the dogs got them I would calculate your actual cost of the chickens and an estimate for the feed and care and loss of eggs...and make a police report so that when you give the guy the bill you will have some muscle behind it. Good luck

One was a Barred Rock and the other is an orange British hen.
Both were laying hens and the two dogs who got into my fenced backyard also killed a rooster.

I sell the eggs and will miss my two best laying hens.

My Barred Rocks were nearly $2.00 each as biddies then account for how much you have spent in feed and the cost of several dozen eggs and the roosters meaning loss of new biddies, if you did a police report too there is no way I would ask him for less than a $100.00 and I know that can't cover you pain and suffering and securing your pen more but it will help some. He will probably balk if you don't have a police report but that will make him more likely to pay I think. Good luck

You may need to go higher than that as I did not account for the other laying hen, maybe even $150.00 ...and I could be totally off base here...any other opinions?

Last edited:
Was it 2 or 3? In the original post you said it was 3, then you only gave two birds that were dead in the next posting?

I would also say about $15 per bird. That is the approximate replacement costs for another laying hen, give or take, based on your area and the type of bird. That is how much it would cost me today to replace pretty much any type laying hen in this area. Also any damages to the coop.
Reimbursement costs wouldn't generally include the feed and care of the previous bird, because it is assumed 'replacement' of similar bird, which has also been fed and cared for to laying age, at a price of $15.
If you were forced to replace with chick, and lose 5 months worth of feeding and egg sales, while the chick was growing up, then you would recover those costs.

Back
Top Bottom