Chickens laying eggs in dustbox...help?

I'd block the corner 'nest' and put one fake egg in each nest.
Posting pics of your nest might garner some viable solutions.
How long have they all been laying?
Onset of lay can be a contentious time with the hormones running high and new experience of laying needing time to smooth out.

I'd block the corner 'nest' and put one fake egg in each nest.
Posting pics of your nest might garner some viable solutions.
How long have they all been laying?
Onset of lay can be a contentious time with the hormones running high and new experience of laying needing time to smooth out.
Thank you!! The nest boxes are wooden 3 over 3 (14x14 inches) with shavings. Put up against coop and wall. Chooks have been laying for about 3/4 weeks and not everyone has layed their first egg yet. If I populate all the boxes with real eggs will that help?

How can I help them to lay eggs in the boxes instead of the corner of the coop or the dust bath?
I have had that problem once some chickens were laying under hanging box feeder. Putting and empty plastic jug under the feeder to block that space solved the problem.

So for you: 1) put some kind of hard obstacle wherever on the floor they decide is a good nesting spot 2) move the dust box in a well lit and/or high traffic area.

This is assuming the chicken are able to get in the nest boxes you want them to (is there a perch) and the box is cozy/protected (is there a curtain?).

Our 9 girls would lay in the dust bath box too, even though we have 6 nesting boxes. We removed the dust box for a couple of weeks and they started laying where they should. I think ours were just inexperienced as young hens and needed to learn. Seems to be going well so we put the dust bath box back inside the coop and haven’t had any problems since.

Our 9 girls would lay in the dust bath box too, even though we have 6 nesting boxes. We removed the dust box for a couple of weeks and they started laying where they should. I think ours were just inexperienced as young hens and needed to learn. Seems to be going well so we put the dust bath box back inside the coop and haven’t had any problems since.
We will do this tomorrow, thank you so much for your suggestion!

I have had that problem once some chickens were laying under hanging box feeder. Putting and empty plastic jug under the feeder to block that space solved the problem.

So for you: 1) put some kind of hard obstacle wherever on the floor they decide is a good nesting spot 2) move the dust box in a well lit and/or high traffic area.

This is assuming the chicken are able to get in the nest boxes you want them to (is there a perch) and the box is cozy/protected (is there a curtain?).
Yes this is a wonderful suggestion, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom