Chickens laying eggs in dustbox...help?

Stablecoop

Songster
May 26, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
Good morning! We have a mixed flock of 15 hens (and 2 roosters...TBD). They are just coming into laying. We have a stand of 6 nest boxes. The barred rocks and new Hampshire seem to have a monopoly on the nest boxes and reliably lay in their favorite ones. Whenever the jersey giants or speckled sussex hens try to get close to the nest boxes they get growled away. They have decided to lay their eggs 1) in the dust box or 2) in the corner of the coop in a "nest" they make out of the shavings. I have tried to pick the jerseys and Sussex's up and place them in the nest box but they don't stay. How can I help them to lay eggs in the boxes instead of the corner of the coop or the dust bath? Thank you!

26E9DAA3-A85E-44C0-AF5F-5F7D956F066C.jpeg

I'd block the corner 'nest' and put one fake egg in each nest.
Posting pics of your nest might garner some viable solutions.
How long have they all been laying?
Onset of lay can be a contentious time with the hormones running high and new experience of laying needing time to smooth out.

How can I help them to lay eggs in the boxes instead of the corner of the coop or the dust bath?
I have had that problem once some chickens were laying under hanging box feeder. Putting and empty plastic jug under the feeder to block that space solved the problem.

So for you: 1) put some kind of hard obstacle wherever on the floor they decide is a good nesting spot 2) move the dust box in a well lit and/or high traffic area.

This is assuming the chicken are able to get in the nest boxes you want them to (is there a perch) and the box is cozy/protected (is there a curtain?).

Our 9 girls would lay in the dust bath box too, even though we have 6 nesting boxes. We removed the dust box for a couple of weeks and they started laying where they should. I think ours were just inexperienced as young hens and needed to learn. Seems to be going well so we put the dust bath box back inside the coop and haven’t had any problems since.

You could try a couple different things:
Put fake eggs in the nesting boxes.
Pick up the eggs they just laid and put them in the nesting box for the day.
Lock the flock in the coop for some time or only during the time they tend to lay.

Our ladies are all laying their eggs in a bag off shavings. They have 6 nesting boxes. They had a nest on the floor for awhile under a few branches that were added for a hiding place. That nest has been abandoned for the shavings bag. They briefly used one nesting box. Briefly. .

Back
Top Bottom