Chickens laying small eggs

Yes, but it takes patience and isn't always successful. Fake eggs in the boxes helped my girls who began laying all over the yard. Keeping them in the coop for a day or two also helps if you can manage it. Also, taking any setting bird and placing her in the nest can help, but you'd have to catch her in the act - haha!
Just a comment about fake eggs. You can buy ceramic eggs that look and feel just like the real thing. If you get some, get brown eggs if you have white egg layers or white ones if you have brown egg layers or mark them in some way. Once I tried to make an omelet out of a fake egg. Took me longer than I care to admit before I figured out why it wouldn't break when I whacked it on the edge of the bowl.

Once I tried to make an omelet out of a fake egg. Took me longer than I care to admit before I figured out why it wouldn't break when I whacked it on the edge of the bowl.
I've collected mine twice and stuck them in the fridge! I even marked the end with permanent marker, but I still sometimes don't see it! I will probably try to make an omelet with mine at some point, too!
:gig

I've collected mine twice and stuck them in the fridge! I even marked the end with permanent marker, but I still sometimes don't see it! I will probably try to make an omelet with mine at some point, too!
:gig

I have to admit this is why I like golf balls. I can even reach blindly under a hen and feel for the difference when collecting eggs. Haven't tried a golf ball omelet yet!

I figured they'd get bigger with every few eggs they lay.
It can take from days to weeks to months before pullet eggs get larger. Agrees it's be good to keep birds confined until later in day to 'train' them to the coop nests.

Took me longer than I care to admit before I figured out why it wouldn't break when I whacked it on the edge of the bowl.
:gig BTDT! I marked mine with a fat sharpie marker all the way around.

Haven't tried a golf ball omelet yet!
Me Neither! I sue both golf balls and fake eggs.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Mike121
Here's some tips on how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Just wanted to update this to say that one of our chickens is laying what I'd consider a normal size eggs. I suspect they'll all follow soon enough.

Some still aren't laying at all though. 17 chickens and getting 8-9 eggs a day.

Most large breed chickens lay an egg every other day.

Some still aren't laying at all though. 17 chickens and getting 8-9 eggs a day.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to update this to say that one of our chickens is laying what I'd consider a normal size eggs. I suspect they'll all follow soon enough.
Some still aren't laying at all though. 17 chickens and getting 8-9 eggs a day.

Did you try my tips?

These chickens free range all day
This could be an issue too.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom