Chickens laying small eggs

Mike121

Chirping
Jul 21, 2019
My parents have some chickens that started laying eggs about 3 weeks ago. All the eggs are very small, though. They're like half the size we expected them to be. I should also mention that out of 17 chickens, only 6 of them are laying.

These chickens free range all day and have access to laying pellets, which they don't seem to eat much of.

Any ideas what could be causing these tiny eggs?

Here are pictures of the chickens. There are rhode island reds, leghorns, and I'm not 100% sure what the black ones are.

IMG_20190714_172848.jpg IMG_20190714_172930.jpg IMG_20190714_172909.jpg IMG_20190714_172958.jpg

Yes, but it takes patience and isn't always successful. Fake eggs in the boxes helped my girls who began laying all over the yard. Keeping them in the coop for a day or two also helps if you can manage it. Also, taking any setting bird and placing her in the nest can help, but you'd have to catch her in the act - haha!
Just a comment about fake eggs. You can buy ceramic eggs that look and feel just like the real thing. If you get some, get brown eggs if you have white egg layers or white ones if you have brown egg layers or mark them in some way. Once I tried to make an omelet out of a fake egg. Took me longer than I care to admit before I figured out why it wouldn't break when I whacked it on the edge of the bowl.

Once I tried to make an omelet out of a fake egg. Took me longer than I care to admit before I figured out why it wouldn't break when I whacked it on the edge of the bowl.
I've collected mine twice and stuck them in the fridge! I even marked the end with permanent marker, but I still sometimes don't see it! I will probably try to make an omelet with mine at some point, too!
:gig

I've collected mine twice and stuck them in the fridge! I even marked the end with permanent marker, but I still sometimes don't see it! I will probably try to make an omelet with mine at some point, too!
:gig

I have to admit this is why I like golf balls. I can even reach blindly under a hen and feel for the difference when collecting eggs. Haven't tried a golf ball omelet yet!

Their age is causing the tiny eggs. All pullets lay tiny eggs when they first start. They'll get bigger over the next few months.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I had a feeling that was the cause but I didn't expect them to stay small for this long. I figured they'd get bigger with every few eggs they lay.

Anyways, good to know there's not something wrong. Thanks again!

When stores carry small eggs, those are from commercial flocks that just started laying. Egg farms start new flocks every month or two in their sheds with millions of hens. They are on a lighting program that starts all laying within a week or two of each other year round. After about 18 months of laying, they become Campbell's soup.

X2
Keep them in till noon since most eggs will be laid in the morning. Then they have to lay in the coop, in nests or somewhere on the floor.
But since they just started laying 3 weeks ago, some may not be close to laying yet.
Check the space between the pointy pelvic bones. If it is less than 2 finger width, those pullets aren't laying yet.

I figured they'd get bigger with every few eggs they lay.
It can take from days to weeks to months before pullet eggs get larger. Agrees it's be good to keep birds confined until later in day to 'train' them to the coop nests.

Took me longer than I care to admit before I figured out why it wouldn't break when I whacked it on the edge of the bowl.
:gig BTDT! I marked mine with a fat sharpie marker all the way around.

Haven't tried a golf ball omelet yet!
Me Neither! I sue both golf balls and fake eggs.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Mike121
Here's some tips on how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom