chickens like playing under trees

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katzinthehat, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Katzinthehat

Katzinthehat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    hey, just recently, our 7 chickens started roaming away from the coop area(our chickens just started to free range and explore)

anyway, we have this giant short-needled pine tree a few feet from our coop and they love to scratch around and peck under the tree.

i want to know, has anyone else encountered this behavior or heard of it?
    is it normal for chickens to want to play under the branches that reach the ground?

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Perfectly normal. [​IMG]

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Absolutely normal. Mine play under trees, bushes, my husband's truck, the back hoe, in the garden, in my flowers, under my husband's boat, IN my husband's boat...... Well you get the idea. They play everywhere. You have normal chickens!

4. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    they are finding good juicy bugs under there [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I agree - totally normal and not only are there good bugs, but they feel safer and more sheltered there. I don't think they're all that crazy about being out in the wide open where anything could get them at any moment. Granted, they will get used to it (we only have an open grassy area for them with only baby trees right now), but mine like to graze under anything... brambles, shrubs, etc.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    lisa said it,,,,shelter. Mine like it in the summer for the cool shade and bugs and a place to go quick if a hawk is flying above. Normal.

BTW [​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I have to call mine home sometimes for treats because they are out playing in the woods. They stay out there all day in the summer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by