Chickens made it out, will they go far?

mandalitten

Chirping
11 Years
May 17, 2010
I just added a temporary run to the coop that I have been letting my 3 chickens (about 2 months old) run in when I am home. I didn't leave them at night or leave since it was 4 feet tall and was afraid they would jump it. However, I noticed that they barely made it half way up the side, so I went for a meeting this evening and didn't lock them up since I figured I'd be back by dark. However, the meeting ran late and to my big surprise I see one chicken sitting in a flower basket by my front entrance on the opposite side of the house!
57788_chickeninflowerbasket.jpeg

I pick it up (it's dark now) and put it back in the coop, and notice another one is gone. The run looks fine, but they must have jumped/flown over it (they were twice as athletic as I have seen them). I live in the city, but have a garden with many places to hide, so I am hoping the last one is hiding somewhere there, but my question is how far does chickens typically wander away from home if they get a chance? I feel bad that I didn't look better after them, but I guess there is always a chance she will come out from hiding in the morning and walk back to the coop area when she gets hungry... No more blue sky run for me!

She probably won't go far-chickens can't see in the dark so they will find someplace to roost for the night.
If it were me, I'd go out with a flashlight and check all those little corners she can get into just to make sure a coon or stray cat doesn't get her.
Sure hope she shows up in the morning!
fl.gif

Mine never wander far. I have had them get scared and they run and hide in bushes. It's hard to see them as they really dig in. Once it's dark they won't move.

Awwwww, she was waiting for you!!

I strongly suspect you'll find your second pullet tomorrow morning, somewhere nearby, if she doesn't come running up to you when you go out first thing.

I went out with a flash light several times, but no luck. It's the first time outside the coop, so I wouldn't think they would go far, but I don't know how long they were out either, maybe 1.5 hours before it got dark. It's a little worrysome that one made it around the house to the street side though, but she was so cute laying in the flower basket, waiting for daddy to take her home!
I just hope the other one settled in before it got dark.

Thanks for the comforting words though :)
I'll let you know first thing in the morning if she is still with me!

I went out looking for Nikki this morning, and I looked twice around my yard and neighborhood, but didn't see her. I had given up, but then I heard this faint noise from some trees over by my shed, and what do I see? Nikki! I looked there last night, but she must have hid well. She was a little cautious and probably enjoyed her freedom so she didn't want to come to me at first. I got her some food and lettuce and she came out and I tried to grab her. She didn't like that, but she ran towards safety (the coop), and she is now safe with her sisters! It is a huge relief I didn't have to put her picture on an egg carton as a missing chicken!

Ms. Kitty :

If you had called Lance, he could have stalked it down for you.
cool.png
wink.png

Huh?!? You obviously know who I am and must be a friend of Lance since you knew Lance was coming, but who are you?
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom