Chickens molting?

MsBoPeep

Chirping
Jan 19, 2022
SouthWest Florida
Hi, I am not sure where to post this thread so I will post it in emergencies just in case it turns out to be something serious...I have 2 black sexlinks and 2 RIRs and I have noticed a lot of feathers in their coop lately, it seems to be mostly black feathers and some red. I am a newbie chicken owner and so I know that chickens go through a molt but I thought it was in the fall? could they be going through a molt now? I got them in January as chicks so they are quite young. My other concern and question would be about one of the sexlinks. She has a hard lump on her chest (I believe this is the crop area?) She is eating, drinking and pooping normally from what I have observed...I have tried to add some photos of the feathers and of the chicken I am concerned for but they are not the best so sorry about that. I should also add my location which is South Florida as well as their food which is a starter/grower feed by Dumor. I think they are getting enough to eat as well as some scraps and mealworms. Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 4
I am a newbie chicken owner and so I know that chickens go through a molt but I thought it was in the fall? could they be going through a molt now? I got them in January as chicks so they are quite young.
Several mini molts will happen on the way to adult feathers for every juvenile.

While the second fall is a common time to molt, all will be individuals and vary in strength and length of molt. As long as we are providing adequate nutrition there is nothing to worry about.

My other concern and question would be about one of the sexlinks. She has a hard lump on her chest (I believe this is the crop area?) She is eating, drinking and pooping normally from what I have observed..
Behavior sounds un-alarming. But for some reason you think the bump is different than the other's crop area or just more noticeable?

their food which is a starter/grower feed by Dumor. I think they are getting enough to eat as well as some scraps and mealworms.
Keep scraps and meal worms to NO more than 10% of their total daily intake.

While many tout the protein benefit of mealworms few mention the fat content is high.

One other cause for feather loss could be mites or lice. Those don't usually include the molt amount of feathers you describe and would not be suspect in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom