Chicken's Neck is Injured

Feb 18, 2021
Texas
Ugly picture under text!

One of our chickens has a bald and bloody neck (on the back). She was attacked by her "friends," so does anyone have any tips on how to help her? She seems in good spirit, but we're wondering if we can get it healed.

Attachments

• IMG_20231019_114939_637[1].jpg
    IMG_20231019_114939_637[1].jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 43
Usually when a bird is attacked and the back of the neck and head are scalped, they should be separated in a dog crate with bedding food, and water. You can spray saline or a vet store wound spray on it to clean it twice a day, and then cover it with plain Neosporin ointment until it heals. It can take weeks to heal, but they usually do. If @coach723 reads this, she has a picture of her hen who healed from this.

Is it infected?
She's getting pecked on by other chickens?
Did they rip the feathers out?
It's not infected yet. She was pecked on last night we think, but she's now separated from the other birds. The only feathers that were pecked out are the ones that were on the back of her neck.

It's not infected yet. She was pecked on last night we think, but she's now separated from the other birds. The only feathers that were pecked out are the ones that were on the back of her neck.
Alright, so it's just the feathers? I bet her skin hurts a bit from it.
I'd separate her and clean it (without touching it) then put some kind of ointment on it to ease the pain and heal it up.
I hope she's ok!

Alright, so it's just the feathers? I bet her skin hurts a bit from it.
I'd separate her and clean it (without touching it) then put some kind of ointment on it to ease the pain and heal it up.
I hope she's ok!
(Sorry for my late reply, lots of fall events going on.) Yes, just the feathers. We've separated her and put ointment on her neck. She's actually doing a lot better now!

Back
Top Bottom