Chickens Not Allowed, Going to Anyway.

Being neighborly is (or was) a wonderful, kind-of-mystical occurrence that was the "America" I grew up in. Neighbors knew each other, helped each other, formed friendships and alliances. Neighborhoods had a personality of their own. Nowadays (it seems) most people only interact with each other when one or the other call the police for some reason. If you help your neighbor work on his fence, paint his house, watch or feed their animals, share your garden produce, eggs, be the kind of neighbor you want others to be you shouldn't have any problems. My neighbors and I get along great. It may help that probably 30% don't speak any english, but they do understand a smile, a wave, a handshake. And amazingly enough, what goes around seems to come around. I love my depressed neighborhood and my poverty level friends. No one here wants to deal with bureaucrats either, everyone is low-profile for one reason or another.

My name gives you an idea of what I do. My first coop was small (3 chickens) and almost at my back door. It actually fit in a little set-back so it wasn't seen unless you walked up to it. We decided to expand since it went so well. It can't be seen from the road and the only one with a view is my neighbor who said she didn't mind me having chickens. The second coop is large enough for me to have shed to store their food and supplies. I just make sure to keep it clean and no roos. Haven't had a problem so far.

I also asked the codes guys about them being pets and he shook his head, no. However, a commissioner told me to go ahead and get them if my closest neighbors didn't have a problem with it. We live out and everyone has almost an acre and there's all sorts of critters around here!

idunno.gif
we have a subdivision that does not allow chickens. This is what I did, I asked my immediate neihbors. They did not mind, they even volunteered to watch my chickens (I only have 3). Then I picked a quiet breed, so not a lot of noise outside in the street.
(silver laced cochins) So far no problems for almost a year..

The neighborhood I have lived in for the last 25 years is right on the outskirts of town....Since I moved here they have developed a few more areas adjacent to us, just across a two-lane state road. These properties are zoned multi-use and house everything from emus, llamas, horses, cows pigs small businesses. Some are large acreage, some are small residential lots, all the same developer. Buyers can decide if they want to be part of the HOA Neighborhood, (very regulated) or the rural neighborhood, zoned multi-use in the same development. Co-exist. Cleanliness helps, I too clean the entire run and hen house once a week.

It was illegal for me to have chickens where I lived, but did it anyway. All my neighbors are good people, and we paid them off with "hush eggs" so they wouldn't report us. Know your neighbors WELL. Talk to them, see what they say. Some people won't do it because of the financial cost of coop, etc..., but if money is no object & neighbors are decent, do it. Most of my neighbors have young kids around, so they love it when they are over here playing with the chickens and they don't have to watch them. Also, my set up was used to promote the idea of backyard chickens when my county finally started the process of changing the ordinance of our county, and many of my neighbors spoke FOR allowing chickens (cause of all those wonderful "hush eggs" they received). Changing the ordinance was another learning experience and met tons of great people in the process too.

I don't regret going underground and getting chickens. Way too fun and got a lot of great indirect experience from it. Good luck.

I live in a small town and checked with the City Attorney. She looked in the ordinance book and did not find anything about having chickens. She said that since there wasn't anything about it that it would fall under the pet category which meant I had to keep them in my yard and watch the noise. I have had 6 in a coop close to my house since April with no problem. I do not have a rooster. I also planted flowers outside the coop and fixed it up so the neighbors don't complain.

I live in a small town and checked with the City Attorney. She looked in the ordinance book and did not find anything about having chickens. She said that since there wasn't anything about it that it would fall under the pet category which meant I had to keep them in my yard and watch the noise. I have had 6 in a coop close to my house since April with no problem. I do not have a rooster. I also planted flowers outside the coop and fixed it up so the neighbors don't complain.

Our former mayor wants chickens allowed. But we have some really arrogant commissioners who only help their friends and I'm not one of them!
That said, I planted roses along the fence between my closest neighbor and the coop. Between that and the honeysuckle vines, she couldn't smell them to save her life. Granted, her cheap cigarettes smell all the way to my back door! I'm downwind of her!

I am planting scented shrubs, trees and flowers around the yard. I was most worried about the doctor who lives across the street. So far no problem. I also have a sign up that says my yard is a "Backyard Wildlife Habitat" that I received through The National Wildlife Federation. The local soil and water asked if they could give tours of my yard. I told them next year as it is still a work in progress. I am trying to promote backyard chickens and gardens to encourage others in our town.

She was the only neighbor that I thought would give me any problems. Being such a pain that I am....my compost barrel is also between the chickens and her. She doesn't come into that part of her yard (very hilly) so unless she climbs around bushes and the fence, she's blocked from sight.
I liked having them behind the house, but the coop was just too small. Now I can step in the shed to clean the coop (every morning), feed them and collect eggs. Works well in bad weather!

Back
Top Bottom