Chickens Not Allowed, Going to Anyway.

We have had 4 wyandottes for about 15 months now. My one neighbor watches them on occasion. The neighbor on the other side, I assume they are aware. The hens are pretty quiet but they do chatter some, as far as I know only one has an egg song but she sometimes sings for others. To the rear there's a levee road on which many people walk, a brick wall separates my yard form the levee.

There are many people with chickens in town, which is why I decided to get them. Some even have roosters which I feel is rather foolish. The town has a Community Watch Page on FB where people report on thefts, vandalism, etc etc. I've seen some traffic there about the roosters causing dogs to bark, a bunch of people were up in arms, crying for the OP to report it to PD. Others were chiming in saying Oh I've seen chickens here or there, had a real witch hunt going on. I recommended tolerance, suggesting that a neighbor with a bone to pick could be very problematic for most dog owners, especially if they decided to assist the city by rounding up strays. I claimed not to have any animals but in fact the only animals I have are chickens. The thread finally disappeared & I never heard if the rooster or the other chickens were reported or not. I hope the rooster owner came to he's senses & rehomed it, we chicken owners really don't need the additional attention.

The hens being illegal keeps me form expanding both the flock & their housing. I would like a larger coop & a chicken moat around the garden but don't want to dump more money into something that might have to end at anytime. Everything I've done so far can be repurposed for use in the garden.

Everything I've done so far can be repurposed for use in the garden.

Before the new coop was finished, my 4 yr old buddy said: This would make a great playhouse!!

Sound like you can either start hanging out with people your own age, your thinking would be a bit more alike or start thinking more like a 4 year old & build a fort.
big_smile.png

If you live in the USA,Check the Bill of Rights Re. Pursuit of Happiness clause. Also if other cities in your state allow poultry then you have an good argument for your city. Should you live in Canada, then the Canadian Bill of Rights applies. Remember that Federal laws overrides any state or provincial or local bylaws.

If you live in the USA,Check the Bill of Rights Re. Pursuit of Happiness clause. Also if other cities in your state allow poultry then you have an good argument for your city. Should you live in Canada, then the Canadian Bill of Rights applies. Remember that Federal laws overrides any state or provincial or local bylaws.
So what if not living around chickens is someone else's idea of happiness...then the Bill of Rights doesn't apply?

Re-read that post Phlimm. It is ILLEGAL in the City of Chandler to have chickens on properties smaller than 33000 sf. The property MUST be zoned agrarian. The main entry in the post chandler-arizona-chicken-ordinance dose not cite the entire law but only glosses the section of the zoning where it is permissible (agrarian residential). 80% of the residences in Chandler CANNOT have backyard chickens legally. I kept mine in the backyard for over six months before the City of Chandler caught wind and threatened animal control would be called to seize the hens and the city would cite me for a zoning violation.

So I have until this Friday to comply. What's crazy is I buy a house assuming I have certain property rights, but I can't keep chickens. According to the letter of the law, in the same residence I can't keep a hutch of rabbits either. Sure, I might try to get away with a pet bunny kept inside the garage (gross) or on the patio, but rabbits also fall into the legal definition of "livestock" in the Chandler City Code. I guess the zoning officer has to discern what a common household pet is.

I'd hate for them to learn about my 3 year old Bengal Cat, which although it's technically a domestic, the City refers to it as a "exotic hybrid." My neigbor frantically came by when he got out one day. He's a housecat with spots for crying out loud! But she's from India and I guess the spots scared her. He is a 20lbs cat, not a tiger by any means.... LOL

On top of that, I can barely keep a dog. I have a beagle and the same next door neighbor called the city and the county on me because she howls while Im at work. Apparently, my neighbor is a pain in the @55 and I've learned keeping pets in Chandler, Arizona is almost as difficult as in NYC.

The only pet that hasn't raised ire with the Chandler community is my tropical freshwater fish.

So I'm digging out a Tilapia pond in the backyard.
I'd be concerned with a 20 pound cat roaming the hood. I have chickens to protect.
Also, I'm sure your barking dog doesn't bother you all day-lol
(you aren't there to hear her)

MOVE TO THE COUNTRY! Your first mistake was asking the government about having chickens. Now you can be sure some whack job neighbor will no doubt report you especially if you end up w/ a rooster. You'd think you were setting up a meth lab.Why would you want to live somewhere that is so restrictive? SMITTY

I lived in a town that did not permit chickens. I had 5 hens, hidden from the street by trees and bushes.
I made a certificate saying they were Peruvian Ground Doves and the animal control offices looked at me like - WHAT??

The ordinance in the town was changed and we can now have 5 hens, no rooster and the coop must be at least 20 feed from the neighbor's property. Sounds okay to me.

You need a doctors note saying that you have severe food allergies and that you must feed your chickens a very controlled diet so that the eggs are not allergic to you or another member of your household (children work really well). Bingo, bango the chicken(s) are now a medical device or can be designated as a therapy animal. I've beet HOA's with less.

Back
Top Bottom