Chickens "not allowed" where I live...Opinion?

Whoachick33

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
So i'm new to the board and to chickens, but I know I must have some chickens! Anyway i'm technically not allowed to have them in my subdivision, due to zoning regulations. But I live on a little over an acre, and the neighbors are not close at all, so I think i'm just going to do it anyway. I only want 2 or 3 hens, so I don't think it will be a big deal. What do you think? And I want to get Silkie bantams, which from what i've read and seen, are pretty mellow, and not noisy.

If anyone asks just tell them they are not chickens.....they are Asian ground parrots
wink.png

I'm not going to have any roosters, so I don't think it would be a problem. And I can just hide the coop behind a tree or something
smile.png

I honestly don't think most people would know that silkies are chickens. I would think, as big as your yard is, they'd look more like bunnies or puppies to most city folk.

As much as I understand your desire to have chickens, it is far better to be legal. If (when?) you are found out, you will be required to get rid of them, may have to pay a daily fine until you do, and there may be other penalties as well. In the meantime, you will have to be constantly on guard and hoping no one notices them and reports you or complains about them. In the event a neighbor's dog gets in and kills some or all of them, you will have no recourse because you shouldn't have had them in the first place.

I am lucky I am allowed chickens in city limits where I live BUT - I didn't get them until I found out it was legal to have them. And, when my neighbor's dog DID get in and kill them, I was able to call animal control and the neighbor was fined for not keeping his dogs controlled. Even hens can be loud when singing the egg song. Someone reported me for having a "rooster" on account of my hens egg songs! AC came out, looked at my set up, confirmed I have no rooster and we had a good laugh about it. That would not have been the case if I was keeping them illegally.

You could try asking your neighbors what they would think if you got some girls and crowing
wouldn't be a problem since you aren't getting a roo. Also mention they could get fresh eggs from you
smile.png

If they are all fine with it then you wouldn't have to worry about being reported.

Does it specifically said no livestock or chickens allowed or does it say they're not allowed unless certain setback requirements are met? Most towns will let you have them if you can keep the coop a certain distance away from a living structure. Or, if you have a big enough property.

Ok im changing my post since people are questioning it. What i meant is that my definition of enough space and yours are complety different because of where i live and the species of animals i keep. i had emus and turkeys before. and i cant keep 45 emus on 1/5 of an acre thats crazy. Im expressing my own opinion so please be nice.
Sorry if i hurt anyones feelings but im telling you what i know from my experience with my animals. My house also takes up half an acre so if i had 3/4 of an acre of land that i owened no way im keeping emus chickens ducks horses cats dogs sheep rabbits alpacas a barn 6 sheds and a pond on 1/4 of an acre thats impossible. My animals would not be comfortable living like that nor would i, again, from my personal experiences. Im am sharing my experiences from what i know and yours are obviously different. you can disagree with me and i can with you. Hopefully that straitens this out.
smile.png
for the record my city laws do not consider chickens pets they considered livestock. just sayin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom