Chickens not going in until after dark

cackle

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
North Carolina
Not sure what is going on. We let the chickens out around 4:15 and they use to go in at the first sign of dusk. Not they hang out until after dark before they go into the coop. Could it be the light in the coop?

Last edited:
With the days getting longer again, mine stay out later too. Some go in right away, while a couple of the younger ones stay out past sunset, and it is almost real dark before they go in.

Some say that chickens are blind in the dark, don't know about that. Mine will come out at night and follow me around in the dark. My coop is lit also. I kind of think they can see me outlined against the house lights. (I don't know how to turn off lights)

Could it be that there is some reason they don't want to go into the coop? unwelcome roomate?

Imp- wearing sunglasses at night

i actually have a few that started doin that.....they are all last year chicks but the older ones will go n pretty much as soon as the shadow hits them..but then after dark the young ones make there way n there...just like n the teenage years they stay out longer...lol

Chickens can't see in the dark but that doesn't mean they are blind. If you can see the chickens they should be able to see you. If you've had a bright moon lately they may just be staying out longer for that reason. Otherwise they are probably getting more comfortable outside. Either braver from spending more time outside or the weather is nicer.

Mine dont go in till way after dark if at all and have been that way most of there life
he.gif

I guess they still are teenagers. They will be a year in May. Has not been a full moon. It use to be so easy at dusk they would go right in and put themselves to bed. And then we would go out and lock them up. Now we go out two or three times to see if they are in yet...

At first I thought it was because we had a light on in the coop and they could go in after dark and still see to get on the roost. But now even with the lights out there are stragglers.

Chickens! Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom