1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens not growing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sofia12, Jul 1, 2012.

1. sofia12

sofia12 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Hi there,

I have four chicks, two are 13 weeks (one hen, one rooster) and two are 10 weeks old (two hens).

However, I have noticed that they are not really growing anymore, and they are very small.

I have noticed that they don't seem to eat as much of their Growers pellets as their crumbs either. I give them porridge oats and vegetables in the afternoons, as well as their pellets.

Any ideas? I'm just a bit concerned because the older hen is approaching P.O.L so want to ensure she is growing!

Thanks

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Depending on the breed, it may seem that they are not growing. Some breeds take longer to mature than others.

If you have a bantam breed, the first 2-3 months they will grow quick, the rest of the growning phase will be slow, ( like my silkies).

My birds lay before they are fully mature, so if they do start laying they will probably grow a bit more.

You can always check for parasites or diseases as a reason for slow growth.

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    The last 3 months seem like it takes forever, my chicks actually are 10 weeks younger then my pullets, and are huge !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by