Chickens not in their coop

Bunny-bum

Chirping
Oct 16, 2020
Uk
My chicken have been outside for 3 weeks, I’ve been putting them in Their coop every night at bedtime, how long will it take for them to put themselves to bed?

Some missing information here.
Where do you live?? No location in your profile. Climate and season are a factor.
How does your coop look? post a pix of it for us to get an idea, of possible cause.
What breed of chickens do you have. Jungle Fowl may prefer tree tops to roost, over coop.
Is your coop dark at dusk, and chickens cant see/navigate inside coop?
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Some missing information here.
Where do you live?? No location in your profile. Climate and season are a factor.
How does your coop look? post a pix of it for us to get an idea, of possible cause.
What breed of chickens do you have. Jungle Fowl may prefer tree tops to roost, over coop.
Is your coop dark at dusk, and chickens cant see/navigate inside coop?
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
I live in England where it is currently cold, they have a light in their coop that comes one before it gets very dark , brand new coop and run. I have two marans and a Wyandotte in this setup they are about 14 weeks I think and one Brahma who currently lives in my bedroom as he’s smaller than them and the Wyandotte is mean to him.

Attachments

• AA3E46B9-07E1-46EB-99CC-618322940EA6.jpeg
    AA3E46B9-07E1-46EB-99CC-618322940EA6.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 7
I live in England where it is currently cold, they have a light in their coop that comes one before it gets very dark , brand new coop and run. I have two marans and a Wyandotte in this setup they are about 14 weeks I think and one Brahma who currently lives in my bedroom as he’s smaller than them and the Wyandotte is mean to him.
You have two problems. One, the light in their coop at night is messing up their natural circadian rhythm. When it is dark, chickens seek shelter. If their shelter has light in it, they will not seek it.

At 14 weeks, they are a long way from being ready to lay eggs. If you’re trying to use light to increase laying, that is only necessary when days are shorter than 12-14 hours, and the light should be used in the early morning hours, not at night. And, of course, you need girls that are of a laying age, around 20-28 weeks.

Finally, chickens that are 14 weeks old usually like to party hard and go to bed later than a mature chicken, but they should already be trained. So my guess is the light is the primary culprit.

It’s about 4ft high and 6 ft wide, it has 2 3ft roost bars low down, when they stand inside on the Roost bars they come about half way up the coop.

You have two problems. One, the light in their coop at night is messing up their natural circadian rhythm. When it is dark, chickens seek shelter. If their shelter has light in it, they will not seek it.

At 14 weeks, they are a long way from being ready to lay eggs. If you’re trying to use light to increase laying, that is only necessary when days are shorter than 12-14 hours, and the light should be used in the early morning hours, not at night. And, of course, you need girls that are of a laying age, around 20-28 weeks.

Finally, chickens that are 14 weeks old usually like to party hard and go to bed later than a mature chicken, but they should already be trained. So my guess is the light is the primary culprit.
It’s a red light so they can see where to go and will be removed as soon as they learn to roost, it’s on a timer so it’s doesn’t stay on long, it’s only been in there half the time they have cuz I read that they wouldn’t go in the coop if they couldn’t see anything

Also I’m not getting eggs from these, the guy that sold them to me lied, they’re all Roos.😸

Have you tried putting a light in, that is what I had to do here in Oklahoma after putting them up for a couple of nights!

I differ on the light inside, as a deterrent by #5 poster. I also don't think red light is the answer. I would put a small white light myself. :idunno
Your coop is small, but it is what you have, so no criticism from me.
I do have a possible solution for you to try. If you could elevate the coop lets say one meter or less, and temporarily, Use an old table possibly. A few chairs would also work.
Chickens do like to seek higher places to enter and roost. Maybe the elevated coop would look desirable to your roos.
Sorry you got hoodwinked into those roos, and you wanted some hens for eggs.:hugs
If this method works, then you can lower coop to maybe 30 cm, on some milk crates. This would also give the chickens added scratching around space inside run.

Back
Top Bottom