Chickens Not Interested in Rattlesnake dinner

Outta Here

Songster
May 17, 2021
Just a few minutes ago I threw a big fat headless rattlesnake to the chickens, but they weren't interested in feeding on him. Hmmm.... surprised me. So I took it out to the cow water tank to feed to the crows. I want them to be happy here because they keep the hawks away.

Attachments

• 20210721_092908.jpg
    20210721_092908.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Too big and tough for them is my guess.

I keep bantams and they are rubbish at eating any pests that aren't insects. But today I saw a 10 week old bantam chick, yes a chick! eat a mouse whole in one gulp. I presume it also caught and killed the mouse but I didn't see that.

The bantam barnevelders are my favourite breed out of the chicks I have at the moment and I've got 5 other breeds.

It should have been kept for a personal dinner. JS
Yeah that looks like a nice, meaty one! Though I’ve never had rattlesnake before and not sure I would hahah but that looks meaty!

As for the chickens, they don’t generally like change/new things but I’m sure they would have eaten it eventually with time. It also might have helped to cut it open. They might not have known what to do with the skin and/or maybe still thought it was dangerous? But if it was cut open so the meat was exposed I bet they would have eaten it.

Yeah that looks like a nice, meaty one! Though I’ve never had rattlesnake before and not sure I would hahah but that looks meaty!

As for the chickens, they don’t generally like change/new things but I’m sure they would have eaten it eventually with time. It also might have helped to cut it open. They might not have known what to do with the skin and/or maybe still thought it was dangerous? But if it was cut open so the meat was exposed I bet they would have eaten it.
Well, that's a very good idea! I did cut the rattles off to keep, but I guess I could still slice it lengthwise. It's still laying out where the crows gather, so there are no takers as of yet...

Back
Top Bottom