Chickens not laying at 24 weeks

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
Hi so I am getting an average of two eggs a day from my 11 chicken. There are four Orpington‘s, four Rhode Island Reds, and 3 Black Australorps. I know one of my Rhode Island Reds is laying because I saw her in the nest box and I have one more mystery check and it’s laying in the box. All those ones that I listed above are all 24 weeks old. I thought more of them would be late now. I stopped free ranging a few months ago when a dog killed one of my chickens but now I started reef free rangI stopped free ranging a few months ago when a dog killed one of my chickens but now I started free ranching again at 3 o’clock when I get home. I search the run and the coop for eggs but nothing. I thought if I let them out by three that would have any chance for them to put their eggs in the run or the nest boxes so they have no way of laying them outside but are these just late bloomers?

I would not let them free range if this is your concern. At least not until they get the concept of going to a nesting box.
As you are saying that I let them out which I shouldn’t but I decided to follow them for a little and saw one squat down and I waited till they moved and went over to see if there was an egg but there wasn’t but I’m going put them in soon

Hi so I am getting an average of two eggs a day from my 11 chicken. There are four Orpington‘s, four Rhode Island Reds, and 3 Black Australorps. I know one of my Rhode Island Reds is laying because I saw her in the nest box and I have one more mystery check and it’s laying in the box. All those ones that I listed above are all 24 weeks old. I thought more of them would be late now. I stopped free ranging a few months ago when a dog killed one of my chickens but now I started reef free rangI stopped free ranging a few months ago when a dog killed one of my chickens but now I started free ranching again at 3 o’clock when I get home. I search the run and the coop for eggs but nothing. I thought if I let them out by three that would have any chance for them to put their eggs in the run or the nest boxes so they have no way of laying them outside but are these just late bloomers?
My pullets are 24-25 weeks and haven't started yet either. Like sourland said, there's just a lack of light this time of year so they're going to run late. I can hardly wait to find those first eggs though, whenever it finally happens!

Back
Top Bottom