Chickens not laying, at a loss…

JandJPlus8

Hatching
Mar 11, 2022
I have a flock of 20 between 9-14 months old. Some of these birds have NEVER laid an egg and the ones that have haven’t laid any since the end of January when we had a ton of snow and they stayed in the coop for a week or two (mostly their choice unless the temp was totally frigid). Zip, zero, zilch. Short of taking everyone to the vet, I’ve exhausted all I can think or find to do.

Coop is clean- we actually just stripped it this past weekend and deep cleaned. They’re not laying elsewhere unless they’re shooting them UNDER the coop from in the run. No signs of being sick or egg bound, nor molting or stress feather picking. I’ve wormed them twice just in case. Food/oyster shell/water is available at all times & scratch given regularly + mealworm treats and fruit/veg scraps. I swapped from 16% feed before they started laying to 18% which kickstarted laying for some for awhile but nothing since. I can’t find any mites or lice on them. 6 nesting boxes that they were roosting on top of for a bit, we’ve since fixed that and added decoy eggs. Coop is 240 sq ft, run is 200 sq ft (we just moved here in October and free ranging isn’t really an option until we can build a fence bc neighbors have dogs that haven’t been an issue just don’t want to take the chance). No predator issues that I’m aware of. There are two ladies that are a bit sassy and pick on others from time to time but no real aggression.

Am I missing something or are they broken/duds?

What breeds do you have? Some take forever to lay.
I have Rural King clearance mixes lol
I know for fact my Easter eggers have never laid bc I’ve only ever gotten brown eggs. I just learned about feeling pelvic bones to check if they’re laying so I’ll be doing that today but to my knowledge my barred rocks, midnight marans, lavender Orpington, one Colombian Wyandotte, and my white laced Wyandotte have never laid.
The only ones that have are a couple RIR, white ones I can’t remember the name of that lay brown eggs, black Australops, a buff Orpington, the other Colombian, and a salmon favorelle.

ETA- I’m trying to be patient with the ones that have never laid but the ones that just quit for this long are starting to concern me.

Last edited:
I have Rural King clearance mixes lol
I know for fact my Easter eggers have never laid bc I’ve only ever gotten brown eggs. I just learned about feeling pelvic bones to check if they’re laying so I’ll be doing that today but to my knowledge my barred rocks, midnight marans, lavender Orpington, one Colombian Wyandotte, and my white laced Wyandotte have never laid.
The only ones that have are a couple RIR, white ones I can’t remember the name of that lay brown eggs, black Australops, a buff Orpington, the other Colombian, and a salmon favorelle.

ETA- I’m trying to be patient with the ones that have never laid but the ones that just quit for this long are starting to concern me.
Easter eggers take forever to mature, they also can lay brown, tan and cream so they could be laying.
Some breeds and individuals take forever to start

Sounds like you are in the US so north of the equator. That could be a factor.

One huge reason chickens are not laying is the molt. While some pullets skip the molt their first fall/winter, not all do. Some hens are over the molt in a couple of months or less but some can take as long as five months. If it is molt related, and for some it could be, they may just be waiting for the longer days of spring to start back up.

Another reason you don't get eggs is that they are hiding a nest from you. They don't have to be free ranging to do that, they can be quite good at hiding a nest in a coop or run. some people have found huge nests in their coop that they didn't even suspect.

Some critters take the eggs. In North America the ones that take them without leaving any signs are snakes, canines, and human. It's unlikely to be a snake most places in North America this time of the year, too cold. Besides a snake eats some then disappears for a few days to digest them before he comes back. That does not sound like a snake. Most canines like a fox or coyote would be more interested in your chickens than the eggs so probably not them. But a dog might eat eggs and not bother the chickens. Does a dog have access? A human doesn't necessarily mean a thief. Some people think that kind of practical joke is funny.

Lighting is an important part of egg laying. One of the triggers to tell a hen when to release a yolk to start making an egg is light related. Has something affected lights? That could be something like a change in a security light or street light.

This time of the year my guess is that they are just waiting for the days to get longer and warm up bit. As long as they are acting healthy they probably are healthy. I'd think patience is your friend in this but think about the other things. You are looking at them, I'm not.

Back
Top Bottom